Kinetis debugger resume doesn't work on Cortex-M0+ processors.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis debugger resume doesn't work on Cortex-M0+ processors.

nnewell
Contributor II

I'm using Kinetis Design Studio (Eclipse) v3.2.0 and I'm having trouble getting the resume (F8) feature to work. My target is a MKL17Z256xxx4 processor and I'm using a J-Link Plus from Segger v10.10. I'm running out of the flash. I am a newbie to Eclipse and to NXP processors in general so I apologize if this was already answered elsewhere.

If I start the firmware debugging it will stop at the main and I can resume from there and all is well. If I have a breakpoint preset somewhere it will stop and I can inspect things as expected, however any attempt to resume the serial ports are locked up. If I pause again it typically is in side an interrupt routine and looks like its running normally. I have 3 serial ports and and a number of timers running. If I break point early (before interrupts are running normally) I don't have this problem so it appears to be something to do with interrupts firing while I'm paused.

I suspect the peripheral interrupts are causing some problem and never recover, but its unclear what if anything can be done. I would have expected any interrupts to be serviced upon resume and eventually things would be running normally, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I have tried just a single hardware breakpoint but it makes no difference.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Nick,

Could you please take screenshot or video to show how it is when pressing resume( F8)  on breakpoint of interrupt.

And I test on another kinetis board with KDSv3.2, it can work well when  I set breakpoint on UART interrupt function.

So I recommend you first can test a simple project only with UART , check whether it can work well. If yes, then anlysis

your project code .

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

nnewell
Contributor II

Hi Alice,

I uploaded a video showing when the resume works and when it doesn't.  Once all the interrupts are running and there's activity the debugger's resume simply doesn't work, but during initialization it does. I'm new to Eclipse so its likely I haven't setup the debug configuration correctly.

https://youtu.be/3wkYBL7qgUs

Let me know if the link doesn't work, I'm not particularly experienced with taking screen captures and so its also a bit jerky.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your sharing.

I think it has nothing with the "Resume", because I test on bareboard project without FreeRTOS, the resume can work well on interrupt function. The case  is how your code run with interrupt and tasks.

About the FreeRTOS project on KDS debug,  I recommend you have a look at this thread:

Better FreeRTOS Debugging in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

BR

Alice

0 Kudos