Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis Programmer for beginners

Jump to solution
pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

Hello,

I know a lot of similar questions have been asked about this, please bear with me. I searched the forum as well as on Google and found out a few helpful sites like USBDM. BUT - This is important - But I couldn't find any simple explanation or solution like how one might find for the PICs. (I used to work with PIC MCUs before) What options does one have for a sub $100 programming device for the Kinetis series MCUs? With minimum assembly work for me, unlike some of the DIY projects, which will become a separate project in their own right.

Here's a list of the options that I have seen -

1. Modifying a Freedom board

Advantages - Cheapest of the lot. Can use KDS or CW

Disadvantages - Processor lock in (it will allow only that MCU which is on the original board). Also unauthorized.

2.USBDM

I couldn't make out what the site expected me to do. Buy their stuff? Build my own? and for a beginner it was quite hard to get to know all the acronyms lol !!

I don't expect a free tool for production programming, but at least a reasonably priced one for production of about 10 pcs a month.

PLEASE NOTE - This is a major stumbling block. If unavailable, we might have to consider moving back to something with cheaper tools.

edit - We chose Freescale because it has a very interactive and helpful community compared to some other ARM suppliers. Also the forum is very well designed for beginners.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

OK I sort of answered my own question here. USBDM is the way to go for me. I found a way of converting a Freedom board into a USBDM device and will use the same.

Thanks YONGLI1z anyway !

For the benfit of other newcomers here's the link USBDM: USBDM-FRDM - USBDM Debugger based on Freescale FRDM-xxxx board

also if you open the USBDM main page look in the documentation section for Freedom based boards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pratiekbhadrana
Contributor III

OK I sort of answered my own question here. USBDM is the way to go for me. I found a way of converting a Freedom board into a USBDM device and will use the same.

Thanks YONGLI1z anyway !

For the benfit of other newcomers here's the link USBDM: USBDM-FRDM - USBDM Debugger based on Freescale FRDM-xxxx board

also if you open the USBDM main page look in the documentation section for Freedom based boards.

0 Kudos
Rick_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Partiek Bhadranavar,

I would recommend using USB Multilink Universal which is produced by P&E, you can buy it directly from P&E web site.

the below is the link:

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

the price is $199, almost the double price of your budget, but it should be the best choice for you!

0 Kudos