Kinetis Ethernet IEEE 1588

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis Ethernet IEEE 1588

kfranz
Contributor III

What support is offered for Ethernet IEEE 1588 on the Kinetis K60? How do I interface to Ethernet IEEE 1588?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
19 Replies

apanecatl
Senior Contributor II

Hi KFranz, I'm afraid the MQX1588 library doe snot support K60 yet, we are still working on enabling the Kinetis + MQX+ IEEE1588 support, once it is ready, the library will be sold by IAXXT. I am not certain if they have made any non MQX implementation of the library.

0 Kudos

loichoarau
Contributor II

Hello,

I just wanted to know if there was some updates regarding this thread: has MQX1588 library been released for K60? Or is the demo software mentioned in AN4332 available somewhere? On IXAAT website, there is only a compiled version for a K64 target but I would rather have the evaluation code.

Best regards

Loic

kfranz
Contributor III

We are several months away from looking at IEEE1588 again. If the price of the library from IXXAT is comparable to what it was last winter it would be impossible for us to cost justify. This would force us to switch to a competitors Cortex processor.

Kevin

0 Kudos

PavelM
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

TomSkwara
Contributor III

AN4332 mentions the requirement for the Freescale MQX IEEE 1588 Communication Library.  There's no mention of the availability of this Kinetis compatible library or it's documentation on the Freescale or IXXAT Web sites.  IXXAT only mentions IEEE 1588 protocol software for non-Kinetis platforms.

Is/will this library be available as complimentary for Kinetis?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Muffinman
Contributor I

I am interested to know where to get the MQX1588 library mentioned in the application notes too.

Can anyone answer me?

0 Kudos

kfranz
Contributor III

I submitted a support request regarding IEEE 1588. The Users Guide and the sample library are not available yet. I was told they will be released in mid December with MQX 3.8 .

0 Kudos

emilien
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm also looking for a 1588 library for Kinetis. I could find nothing related to 1588 in the MQX reference manual or the RTCS user guide (MQX 3.8.1).

I could find the demo page, but nothing for Kinetis here:

http://www.ixxat.com/evaluation_kit_intro_en.html

Did you find a PTP solution for Kinetis? (my platform is twr-k60n512, running MQX+RTCS and the IDE is IAR)

Best regards,

-- 

Emilien

0 Kudos

kfranz
Contributor III

Last winter we contacted IXXAT for an IEEE1588 solution. It was a little pricey for our application. There is a PTPd on SourceForge. I haven't looked at it. Another possibility would be to use a PHY which supports IEEE1588, such as TI DP83640. We haven't made any decisions yet regarding what we will do.

Kevin

0 Kudos

iafg
Contributor IV

But doesn't this phy approach still need software to support it?

(you might get a sync clock out?)

0 Kudos

kfranz
Contributor III

Yes, software is needed. For the TI DP83640, C source code is provided. I have not looked at it. Consequently, I have no clue how complicated it would be to integrate with MQX/RTCS.

Kevin

0 Kudos

tenfy
Contributor I

Could you please  give the C source code ypu refereed in your reply.My email is faneeboy@163.com   

Thanks

0 Kudos

kfranz
Contributor III

I assume you mean the C source code for the TI DP83640. I never downloaded the source code from TI. I suggest you go to TI to get it. Let us know your experience with it.

Kevin

0 Kudos

tenfy
Contributor I

Hello,

kfranz, So far, I don,t have much experience with the IEEE1588 and the PTP stack,I just get acknowledged on the concept of those.But my goal is to realize the time-triggered Ethernet based on the IEEE1588 synchronization . So in my opinion,the key issue is the synchronization mechanism and the time-triggered mechanism. Transferring the protocol into computer language is the also very important.But I am not good in it and have not much experience with it. So I want to know whether you have some work in it? I hope you can share your experience with me!

Thanks

Best Regards!

0 Kudos

kfranz
Contributor III

We have not started working on the IEEE1588, PTP stack. It will be several months before this project is started. At this time we do not have any experience to share.

0 Kudos

kfranz
Contributor III

Also, last winter we contacted Freescale. They acknowledged a need to include an IEEE1588 library with MQX. They could not give me a timetable regarding when this would happen. That was 8 month ago. Maybe things have changed. At that time, the only turnkey solution we found was from IXXAT, and I think it was still in development. But, again, that was 8 months ago. I am sure it is now available from IXXAT.

Kevin

0 Kudos

emilien
Contributor III

Hi,

It seems that development is still doing the quality control. I saw the PTPd implementation, and could try it on a desktop, it gave me microsecond accuracy, even without HW timestamps but I guess porting it to the twr-k60n512 won't be a piece of cake, so I'm looking for the most straightforward solution. I'll provide details when I know a bit more about this.

Thanks !

-- 

Emilien

0 Kudos

christophegraul
Contributor II

Hi all,

I am in the process to write a PTP "stack" but at the moment i get an issue with the timestamp of received frames. Anyone had done any work in this ? We could share information.

Christophe

0 Kudos

hmhr
Contributor I

Hi all,

I'm also interested in understanding how to get hold of the Comms library mentioned in this application note.

Does anyone has more/any information on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos