cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW45 EVK deep sleep mode current consumption is too high

BLEDev
Contributor II

Hello NXP support,

I'm trying to measure Idd_LDO_Core via JP12 running example lowpower_peripheral (buck mode). Expect the current consumption in Deep sleep mode (when ADV is off) is few micro ampere. But actual the current is 2.6 mA

As I see, in the chapter "Report" the current in Deep sleep mode is 1.99 µA ,how to get that value?

https://docs.nxp.com/bundle/AN13230/page/topics/reports.html

2024-07-02 14_43_08-Reports _ AN13230_ Kinetis KW45 and K32W Bluetooth LE Power Consumption Analysis.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Thank you for contacting NXP support.

I have some questions I perform some testing on an EVK and I see similar results that the ones presented on the document, there could be some variations.

But in this case I would like to know more information and I also have some observations:

1. Have you modified something on the SDK example of lowpower_peripheral?
    1. If so please let me know in detail what changes.
  2. I understand you are currently using the buck mode configuration, can you please help me verify the following pins:
    1. JP5 3-4 This is for voltage is important to be at 3.6V.
    2. JP15 NC: Not Connected.
    3. JP11 in Open
    4. JP10 5-6

Can you please help me confirm this details I would really appreciated.

Also if you can help me with the device type you are using for this measuring it is also important.

0 Kudos

BLEDev
Contributor II

Hello nxf77486,

Thanks for your feedback,

Could I now the current consumption values you measured through JP12 (LDO_CORE) when ADV was active/ not active?

Here is the information you requested:

1. No, I have not. I tried with the original example SDK 2.12.0 and SDK 2.12.7 but the same behavior.

a. Done

b. Done

c. Done

d. Done

Current when BLE device name NXP_TEMP is present on BLE scaner application

Current_PowerDown_ADV.jpg

Current when BLE device name NXP_TEMP is not present on BLE scaner application

Currrent_DSM_No_ADV.jpg

Board_overview.jpg

Device :

1. KW45B41Z Evaluation Kit : KW45B41Z Evaluation Kit with Bluetooth® Low Energy | NXP Semiconductors

2. KW45 Localization Board KW45 Localization Board Reference Design | NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I appreciate the information. The values you are currently receiving are compliant according to the Advertising Mode current consumption analysis, therefore this testing are performed with different tools and on a controlled environment, so the result might vary.

Please give a look into the chapter 5.2.2.4 Advertising Mode on the Table  16 that have the advertising current profile information.

Also can you please also help me by measuring the values obtained on the ldd_dcdc on the JP7: 1-2.

Please let me know your results.

0 Kudos

BLEDev
Contributor II

Hello nxf77486,

Do you have any updates?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

nxf77486
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Sure I have some feedback. In this case I do recommend to use another type of measurement tool as a multi meter is not the recommended tool to measure this type of current, so in this case I do recommend to use the recommended tools on the AN or use any other current probe or power analyzer.

Please let me know if there is anything else where I can help you.

0 Kudos

BLEDev
Contributor II

Hello,

Did you mean my measurement result is not reliable? Because this way of measurement is working for my old projects, I agree with you that I will can't see details about the current consumption between MCU and TX/RX states. But that are not the main parts in my requirement. As I sent you the picture when ADV is off and the current consumption of CORE JP12 is too high.

I expect to know how to get the result 1.99 uA (possible on JP7, but I can't get the same result) as the report summary?

Thanks

0 Kudos

BLEDev
Contributor II

Hello nxf77486,

In my experience with sleep mode current measurement on other chips. This target in sleep mode can be achieved with measuring on main power source for BLE Chip and other RF components (like via JP5 on KW45-EVK).

+ ADV is active

+ connection can be established (possibly woken up by BLE Host stack then the application back to normal mode to handle other connection activities and then it decide to back to sleep mode or not)

+ Current consumption is few µA with the temperature ~25 degrees (when normal mode the current can be few mA)

Could you tell me how to achieve the that target? I previously checked JP7: 1-2. but the current at all time the SW running can't fall below 1mA.

Thanks!

0 Kudos