Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KM34Z128 - DRM147 - Phase delay

Jump to solution
phamsa
Contributor III

HI,

Referring to DRM147  @ https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/DRM147.pdf  

How to calculate timer value for certain phase angle drift to correct, in short how to calculate timer value to correct phase delay.

and according to DRM147 firmware, how much phase delay maximum we can correct and what is the LSB.

Regards

Paddy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @phamsa 

Here is the feedback of my colleages !

When the TMR runs @24e6 Hz. , since it is  a 16 bit timer,  it  can compensate maximum 2.73 msec.

2.73ms @ 50 Hz => 49 degrees (since there are 50 cycles of 360 degrees of sine waves).

So, 49.12 degrees or 0.857 rads is the maximum the TMR can compensate for phase.

Therefore, 49.12/2^16 degrees or 0.857/2^16 rads.

It yields 0.00075 degrees or 1.33514404296875e-5 rads is the resolution, i.e., per bit phase compensation.

I want to thank you for your great patience, Paddy.

Yours,

Diego

View solution in original post

7 Replies
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Paddy,

I will  consult this with my colleages in order to provide you guidance since I am not expert on this topic.

In the meantime, is there any other detail regarding the  application that we may consider?

I appreciate your patience, thank you!

Diego

0 Kudos
phamsa
Contributor III

HI Diego,

Application is 3 Phase energy meter, concert is that the delay provided by timers can take care of delay caused by CTs used in current days meters, normally in this application CTs used is made of Amorphous Core, so approximately 4 degrees to 7 degrees caused by these CTs.

I am concerned of the method followed in DRM147 to compensate phase angle can be handled or not.

Thanks,

Regards

Paddy

0 Kudos
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Paddy,

Thank you for your reply!

I will let you know our feedback as soon as I can.

Thank you!

Diego.

0 Kudos
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Paddy,

Continuing with the follow up,

I just want to let you know that we are waiting software engineer confirmation of our feedback,

When we get his confirmation, I will reply this ASAP.

I appreciate your patience,

Thank you.

0 Kudos
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Paddy,

This may take additional time, since we have been double checking our reply with the software engineer.                  

I appreciate your great patience; I will let you know our results as soon we finish our internal validation.
Regards, Diego.

0 Kudos
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @phamsa 

Here is the feedback of my colleages !

When the TMR runs @24e6 Hz. , since it is  a 16 bit timer,  it  can compensate maximum 2.73 msec.

2.73ms @ 50 Hz => 49 degrees (since there are 50 cycles of 360 degrees of sine waves).

So, 49.12 degrees or 0.857 rads is the maximum the TMR can compensate for phase.

Therefore, 49.12/2^16 degrees or 0.857/2^16 rads.

It yields 0.00075 degrees or 1.33514404296875e-5 rads is the resolution, i.e., per bit phase compensation.

I want to thank you for your great patience, Paddy.

Yours,

Diego

phamsa
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles 

Thanks a lot,

Now I got clear understanding on this topic.

I also did some exercise and understood that timer can help in getting delay but we have limitation of sample to sample time and for my use case I can hardly able to adjust 1 degree

Thanks a lot for your support

Regards,

Paddy