KL02 SOC based FRDMKL02Z board Floating Point support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KL02 SOC based FRDMKL02Z board Floating Point support

anilnadargi
Contributor II

We are working on FRDMKL02Z board . Using MQXLite and PE for firmware development .

Some of the functionality within the code requires floating point operations to be supported e.g. atof() API , floating point arithmetic .

But when we perform floating point operations as described above m_text size increases significantly I mean in terms of 10K size difference.

Out initial analysis is as ARM Cortex M0 is used in KL02 series SOC and M0 does not any support FPU , so software based floating point algorithms are triggered which increases the code size (m_text ) .

We have limited FLASH memory on the EVM and need to support mode code on the same platform .

Can you guys recommend any solution to above situation .

Also its will be great if you can low power Freescale SOC which supports FPU .

Thanks In advance .

0 Kudos
3 Replies

UK_CF_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You may want to consider MK02FN64VFM10 for your design. This is a Cortex M4 device, has hardware FPU and is reasonably low power. It's in s small 5x5mm 32QFN package.

0 Kudos

anilnadargi
Contributor II

Thanks . I just wanted to know do we have any optimized software based solution which takes less memory than mentioned in my post i.e. using some optimized library ported for KL02 SoC.

0 Kudos

isaacavila
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Anil,

There is no MCU with Floating Point Unit and Ultra Low power. We have the Kinetis K2x, K6x, KV3x Families that have Floating Point Unit but they are not ultra low power family (Although all Kinetis family are low power).

I will recommend you to select the MCU that fits your needs, you can use the Kinetis Product Selector located at Freescale's Web Page and filter all MCU by chosing Floating Point Unit.

Freescale Product Selector

I hope this can help you,

Best Regards,

Isaac

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos