Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install OpenSDA v1 (PE micro) on new K20

nxf24218
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

We want to copy the functionality of the K20 MCU on the DEVKIT-MPC5748G in our own product. It is not possible to order the K20 MCU pre-programmed for low quantities, so we want to program them ourselves using a JTAG (PE multilink) tool.

I read the procedure on howto update the firmware on the K20, but I cannot figure out on how to fresh install it on a new K20.

We're planning to use exactly the same device as on the DEVKIT, the MK20DX128VFM5 and use exactly the same pin mapping.

Best regards,

Ruud

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ruud,

you cannot use the OpenSDA v1 bootloader, as this is closed source.

But you can use the OpenSDA v2 which uses the same device and which you can program on a new device, see Recovering the FRDM-K64F Bootloader, or: Cloning the Program of a Microcontroller | MCU on Eclipse  or program it from a binary, see Adding a Delay to the ARM DAPLink Bootloader | MCU on Eclipse . Or you can build the bootloader from sources too.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

nxf24218
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The OpenSDA v2 documentation says it uses CMSIS-DAP to communicate with the target processor. This is an ARM specific format, 

From CMSIS DAP - Handbook | Mbed :

CMSIS-DAP provides a standardized way to access the Coresight Debug Access Port (DAP) of an ARM Cortex microcontroller via USB

However, we have a e200 PowerCore based processor (MPC5748G), will this work?

0 Kudos

nxf24218
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Erich,

Thank you for your answer, I'll try your suggestions when I receive the PE multilink. 

However, you mention 

you cannot use the OpenSDA v1 bootloader, as this is closed source.

Note that I don't need to modify the v1 bootloader, so a binary is fine for now (maybe not a good idea for future development, that's true), is it because of licensing that we are allowed to redistribute/copy it?

Best regards,

Ruud

0 Kudos