How do I program compiled code onto the MK20DX256VLH7 using a U-MULTILINK-FX ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I program compiled code onto the MK20DX256VLH7 using a U-MULTILINK-FX ?

daanv
Contributor II

Hello, 

I am currently using a Teensy 3.2 board, which consists of a MK20DX256VLH7 as its main MCU. I am compiling the code for it using Arduino IDE, and uploading code to it via Arduino IDE (USB).

Now I have made a new breakout board, whereby I have have removed the USB connector (and the accompanying USB communication chip) and exposed the JTAG pins. Then I want to take the elf/hex files that have been compiled using the Arduino IDE, and then upload them to to the MK20DX256VLH7 using JTAG pins and the U-MULTILINK-FX programmer. So, how do I do this? 

I have tried using MCUXpresso, but I find it very difficult to work with this. Specifically: 

- there is no SDK for the MK20DX256VLH7. That brought me to this  post. There it is recommended to use CodeWarrior/IAR. Should I be using that instead of MCUXpresso? 

- I can't access the "debug" / "flash GUI" buttons without first selecting a board/SDK it seems (which is impossible because there is no board/SDK for the MK20DX256VLH7).

Many thanks!   

0 Kudos
3 Replies

daanv
Contributor II

Hi @ErichStyger , I just tried it. Can confirm that it works via Kinetis Design Studio! Very happy  

I could only select K20DX256M7 as the target device, and not  MK20DX256VLH7, but it works nonetheless (I'm guessing it doesn't really matter?). 

For other people that are interested in doing the same, see image for settings and where to upload the ELF/HEX file within Kinetis Design Studio. 

daanv
Contributor II

Great thanks! I will try it out asap when I'm near my hardware and let you know how it fares! 

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Hi @daanv ,

You could use the Kinetis Design Studio (no SDK needed for that one).

Or you can use the PEMicro GDB Server inside MCUXpresso IDE and use it from the command line, see how to use the pegdbserver here: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2015/03/25/command-line-programming-and-debugging-with-gdb/

I hope this helps,

Erich