How do I program a FRDM-K64F using a Cyclone Max and the PROGARM software?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I program a FRDM-K64F using a Cyclone Max and the PROGARM software?

Jump to solution
scottlyle
Contributor I

I have a FRDM-K64F development board that I would like to program using the Cyclone Max via the PROGARM software. My goal is to come up with a way to program a MK24FN1M0VDC12 processor on a custom PCB we designed using the 0.5", 10 pin SWD header.  Before trying to debug whether or not our PCB design is correct, I would like to first make sure the process for programming a Kinetis CPU this way is correct using the FRDM board.

So far I have downloaded all of the programming algorithms.  I plug the cable into port E on the Cyclone Max and use the Cyclone Max JTAG/SWD adapter board to interface to the 0.05", 10 pin SWD connector J9 on the FRDM board.  I have tried the jumper on the adapter board in both positions.  I have cut the trace under J11 as directed in the manual and schematics.  Each cable has the red wire going to pin 1 of the appropriate connector.  I am powering the FRDM board through J26.

When I run the PROGARM software use the default settings and select either the freescale_k64fn1m0m12_1x32x256k_pflash.arp or freescale_k64fn1m0m12ws_1x32x256k_pflash.arp programming algorithm I get the message "Initializing.  Cannot enter background mode.  Check connections."

Thank you in advance for your time!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Scott Lyle:

The trace J11 MUST NOT be cut, only if you want to use the Freedom board as programmer for an external MCU.

Try again by placing the J11 jumper and let us know if the issue is not resolved.

Regards!,

Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Scott Lyle:

The trace J11 MUST NOT be cut, only if you want to use the Freedom board as programmer for an external MCU.

Try again by placing the J11 jumper and let us know if the issue is not resolved.

Regards!,

Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
scottlyle
Contributor I

Jorge,

I talked with PE Micro and found that there are traces under J8 and J12 that need to be cut to prevent the OpenSDA from interfering with the SWD port.  After cutting those traces I am now able to program the FRDM board with the Cyclone Max.

Thank you again for the help!

0 Kudos
scottlyle
Contributor I

Jorge,

Thank you for the clarification on J11.  I have reconnected those two pins.

I also found that I needed to upgrade my Cyclone Max software.  Unfortunately it is still not working.

I am now using the PROGACMP software.  I select either K64FN1M0M12 or K64FN1M0M12 as the device.  I found that if I power the board from either J26 or from the Cyclone Max that clicking "Connect (Reset)" just brings up the Connection Assistant again.  This is the same behavior if no device is present.  However, if I power the board through the other, non debug USB port it takes me into the CPOGACMP application and asks for an algorithm.

At this point it acts the same way it did before.  No matter which of the two algorithms I select it gives me the same "Initializing.  Cannot enter background mode.  Check connections." error.

0 Kudos