FTM Filter for Input Capture not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTM Filter for Input Capture not working

aberger
Contributor V

I'm sending a 0-5 V square wave signal into FTM1_CH0 of a K64, with the input filter value set to 16, and the mode set to detect rising edges. By my understanding, that means that the FTM requires the input signal to remain in a high state for 16 bus clock cycles (i.e. 260 ns with bus clock = 60 MHz) following a low-to-high transition before it sets the CHnF flag and writes the input capture register C(n)V with the counter value. However, I've discovered that the FTM is occasionally counting small glitches on the input signal as a true edge.

FTM Glitch Events.png

Above is a scope trace showing six true edges and two glitch events that cause false edge triggers. To capture this scope trace, I have caused a GPIO pin to toggle (channel 1, yellow) in the FTM ISR that is fired whenever an edge is detected on the input signal (channel 3, blue).

Zooming in on the glitch events, I see that they do not last the minimum duration set by the input filter value (there is a very brief spike, < 50 ns, on the input signal). Furthermore, the input high level is not > 0.7*V_DD, as required to be considered an input high voltage. (I have V_DD set to 1.8 V, so the input signal needs to be at least 1.26 V. Here it looks like it maybe reaches 800 mV... although perhaps maybe my scope is not resolving the true peak height). Lastly, you can also see that this type of glitch event does not always cause an edge detection event (bottom panel).

FTM Glitch Events (zoom).png

What would the reason be for this sort of behavior of the FTM input capture filter for edge detection?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Andy,

The minimum pulse cycle time is CHnFVAL[3:0] (× 4 system clocks), assume that the system clock is 120MHz for the K64, the minimum pulse cycle time is 16*[1/(120MHz/4)]=500ns.

You says that the capture signal is 5V logic, if you inputs 3.3V logic capture signal, what is the result?

BR

XiangJun Rong

pastedImage_277.png

0 Kudos

aberger
Contributor V

I figured out the question of signal magnitude: with such a short pulse, the cable I was using to probe the CH3 signal in the above figures was loading down the input signal. By using a scope probe cable instead of a BNC cable, I could see that the signal could very well be rising to the 0.7*V_DD threshold to be considered an input high voltage level.

Nevertheless, the issue of FTM Input Filtering remains. The pulse duration is less than 16 times the FTM source clock, so I still believe that this short pulse should not be triggering the FTM.

0 Kudos