cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KL25Z fail to connect

Jump to solution
kirkg
Contributor I

When I first connected the board I got today I plugged it in to the non-SDA usb port and the installed app seemed to work.  I then plugged into the open-sda usb port and got the MSD to show in windows Explorer (64-bit WIndows 8.1) and the little green LED started blinking.  I tried to drag over

srec files from the Precompiled Examples, but they seem to have no effect and the pre-installed app no longer worked.  I repeatedly tried to drag different srec files, wait for a while, unplug/replug, nothing worked.  I then decided maybe the MSD bootloader was outdated so I unplugged the device, held down reset, plugged into open-sda port, and bootloader MSD popped up in Explorer.  I dragged the latest version of MSD-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v105.SDA over, unplugged, replugged, and now the regular MSD doesn't even load!!!  At this point all I can do is enter bootloader program mode.  I can no longer enter the regular MSD loader, and no apps seem to run.  The info from the SDA_INFO.htm in the bootloader MSD shows:

Board Name is: FRDM-KL25Z

MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.05

Bootloader Version is: 1.09

Application Version is: 0.00

DUID is: FFE33938-8DA081AE-3752F808-B74DE678

EUID is: F781A239-1FBA8720-1851DA1B-955668D6

TUID is: 74823938-473281DD-375E980F-B85CE678

TOA is: 86B6E505-B2A9F1EF-41E6B687-76977D16

TOA2 is: 86B6E505-02E1AE6E-CDE430D7-852E4389

SUID is: 86B6E505-6C47A61D-37239804-8003EC65

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  At this point this board seems to be in a useless state.  Thanks

Kirk

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Kirk Gossage:

You are not doing anything wrong. This is an issue with the bootloader version 1.09 not working with Windows 8.x. Please carefully read and follow the instructions in the next tutorial:

Illustrated Step-by-Step Instructions: Updating the Freescale Freedom Board Firmware | MCU on Eclips...

Basically you have 2 options:

1- Update the bootloader with your Windows 8.1 PC using the solution provided by Mark Butcher:

Re: Does the FRDM-KL25Z board not work with Windows 8 and CodeWarrior?

2- Use a computer with Windows 7 to upgrade the bootloader, then you can use Windows 8.x.

I hope this helps solving the issue.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kirkg
Contributor I

Just to add a little more detail...  In the state that it's in now it doesn't show up as ANYTHING in device manager when plugged into either USB port.  The only thing it can do is enter bootloader program mode by holding down reset and plugging into open-sda port.

Kirk

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Kirk Gossage:

You are not doing anything wrong. This is an issue with the bootloader version 1.09 not working with Windows 8.x. Please carefully read and follow the instructions in the next tutorial:

Illustrated Step-by-Step Instructions: Updating the Freescale Freedom Board Firmware | MCU on Eclips...

Basically you have 2 options:

1- Update the bootloader with your Windows 8.1 PC using the solution provided by Mark Butcher:

Re: Does the FRDM-KL25Z board not work with Windows 8 and CodeWarrior?

2- Use a computer with Windows 7 to upgrade the bootloader, then you can use Windows 8.x.

I hope this helps solving the issue.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
kirkg
Contributor I

Jorge,

Thanks for the quick late night reply.  That solution worked!!

Kirk

0 Kudos