cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KE04Z Quick Start problem

chicagomike
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm attempting to run demo applications on the FRDM-KE04Z development board, but the board never does anything except for blink an error code (8 fast blinks followed by a two-second pause).

My dev platform is Windows 10, and I downloaded and installed MCUXpresso IDE v11.6.1_8255. I also downloaded the Quick Start Package and attempted to follow the procedures give on pages 5, 6, and 7 of FRDM-KE04Z Quick Start Guide, including downloading and installing the PEM OpenSDA drivers, but no matter what I do, the board just ends up blinking the error code.

The board does enumerate as a removable drive named BOOTLOADER which contains three HTM docs and laststat.txt, but whatever file I try to copy onto the drive disappears after a power cycle. The text file just contains the string "Programming..."

I am able to build the demo applications, and I feel like if I could only get a twitch out of the target board I could be off and running. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
5 Replies

chicagomike
Contributor III

Thank you for your help, Robin!

I was able to follow your instructions, and now I'm unstuck.

It turns out that the problem is that I was using a stale version of the application image from the NXP Quick Start Package (MSD-FRDM-KE04Z_Pemicro_v112.SDA). I noticed from your screenshot that you had a newer version, and so I loaded that from the PEM archive that I downloaded earlier.

I am now able to start and run the platinum_frdm app from the prebuilt S record file, and also the Freedom board now shows up as an attached probe in MCUXpresso.

Again, thank you for your kind assistance.

Mike

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome!
I am glad to hear that it works now.

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

Please refer to Recovering OpenSDA Boards with Windows 10

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

chicagomike
Contributor III

Thanks, Robin!

I followed the OpenSDA board recovery procedure and was able to successfully update my FRDM-KE04Z bootloader. I can now connect the board to a USB port, and it shows up in application mode with the volume label FRDM-KE04Z.

For my next step I decided to build and run the hello_world demo app. I successfully imported the FRDM-KE04Z SDK into MCUXpresso v11.6.1 and was able to build the hello_world project without errors or warnings. Following the steps in the readme file, I attempted to launch the debugger, however, the 'Available attached probes' dialog told me that no compatible probes were available. I clicked 'Search again' a few times, but no joy.

I also tried simply dragging and dropping the pre-built hello_world.bin image on the FRDM-KE04Z drive while the board was in application mode, but the hello banner never showed up on my terminal emulator (115200,8,n,1).

Any more suggestions?

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Mike

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Here is my FRDM-KE04Z, you can see that the bootloader and application firmware of OpenSDA  have been updated to BOOTVER=1.11 and APPVER=1.18. Check that LASTSAT.TXT shows Ready.

FRDM-KE04Z info.png

After drop platinum_frdm.srec to FRDM-KE04Z, the RGB led will blink. And it will echo the character as you input.(115200,8,n,1).

platinum_frdm 115200.png

Then I try to debug the frdmke04z_uart_interrupt example in SDK_2.11.0_FRDM-KE04Z with MCUXpresso IDE v11.6.1_8255. Able to debug the project and the result matches the description in readme.txt.
By the way, can you re-discover the probe by pressing SHIFT+Debug after restarting the computer?

frdmke04z_uart_interrupt.png

0 Kudos