cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging MKL02 using Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H

georgeaddison
Contributor I

Hello all,

I've been playing around with some FRDM-KL02 boards, as I want to use the MCU in a board design of my own, but I wanted to make sure I could program it. I can build and compile fine from the KSDK. With CMSIS-DAP on the OpenSDA interface, I am able to program and debug the board correctly through Eclipse (Mars.1) or the KDS (3.1.0) using OpenOCD (0.9.0). However, it is very slow. I have an Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H that I would like to use, through a JTAG-SWD adapter, and I have bodged together some configuration files for it (I don't really understand the ins and outs of it). From the command line, I can load a .elf onto the board fine, and step through it. If I handle the loading in the .cfg file, disable 'Load executable' in eclipse, and run the .cfg file from eclipse, it will load and allow me to debug exactly as I want (and is much faster than the OpenSDA interface). If I let eclipse handle the loading of the binary however, it reliably ends up in 'UART0_IRQHandler() at startup, before reaching main(), and won't do anything else. This means I have to hard code the path to the binary in the OCD .cfg file for every project, which isn't ideal.

Screenshot from 2016-01-14 10_14_37.png

I'm very new to the world of embedded, I've only played around with arduinos a little before, so if anyone has any suggestions on what to try next I would be all ears. Ideally, I'd like to get Eclipse loading the binaries, but I don't know where to start looking to resolve this. Is there any way to see what the settings in Eclipse translate to in terms of OpenOCD commands?
Alternatively, is there any way to pass the binary path to the .cfg file, so I don't have to go manually hard coding the paths in the .cfgs for every project?

Many thanks,

George

P.S. the current configuration script, a conglomerate of different snippets I found across the internet that seems to work, but I don't know why:

source [find /opt/IDE/openocd/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg]

source [find /opt/IDE/openocd/olimex-arm-jtag-swd.cfg]

source [find /opt/IDE/openocd/frdm-kl02z.cfg]

adapter_nsrst_assert_width 10

adapter_nsrst_delay 2

reset_config srst_only

adapter_khz 500

init

reset halt

wait_halt

mww 0x00000000 0x01

sleep 200