Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMA and CACHE

Jump to solution
sean_dvorscak
Contributor III

I am using a KE18F MCU.

I am using DMA to transfer received UART data into a circular queue.  I use the DADDR of the DMA channel that handles these actions and a pointer of "read" data to determine if new data has been put into the queue.

I am concerned that when I read my data queue, I will read what is in cache, instead of the what's actually in my queue.  Since there is no DMA coherency with cache.

I am wondering if I would need to search the cache and invalidate any data that is from my data queue when it comes time to process the received data, since the data was moved into the queue by DMA?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sean,

In this case, you are right, you do not need to worry about the cache, because you are using the FlexRAM and it is not cacheable.

2. Non-cacheable — access to address spaces with this cache mode are not cacheable.
These accesses bypass the cache and access the output bus. In other words, it doesn't affect this process.

Regards,

Mario

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sean,

I hope you are doing great.

You are passing the UART received from UART to a circular buffer. What do you mean cache in this case?

You only have to be sure that you read out the data from the circular buffer before the DMA writes again to that section.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
sean_dvorscak
Contributor III

I am referring to when I process what is in my queue.  The data is moved into the queue by DMA, but there is no cache hardware coherency.  So when my software comes to reading the queued data, I am concerned what I might read.  Will I read what is in cache, or in RAM?

I did read though in table 14-1 in the KE18F manual that RAM is non-cacheable.  Can you confirm if this means that I don't have worry about this?

sean_dvorscak_0-1604958266794.png

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sean,

In this case, you are right, you do not need to worry about the cache, because you are using the FlexRAM and it is not cacheable.

2. Non-cacheable — access to address spaces with this cache mode are not cacheable.
These accesses bypass the cache and access the output bus. In other words, it doesn't affect this process.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos