cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combination of FMC and L1 Cache on K60 devices

peterruesch
Contributor IV

Hi,

after some search I could not find any documents regarding the combination of the following both:

• FMC Cache and FMC Prefetchbuffer
  • (16KB) L1 I/D-Cache

My question is: how can I cleverly combine them?

Is it of any disadvantage to use them both at the same time in the hope the get the most of "from flash execution performance" ?

the only thing i could find is this from AN4745:

5.1 FMC features

The FMC has two key features that help to increase the chance that flash accesses can be serviced in a single clock cycle:

• FMC cache - There is a small cache within the FMC that stores recently accessed flash information. The exact

configuration of the FMC cache can vary from device to device, but an FMC cache is present on all devices. Note:

some Kinetis devices also contain a system cache that is completely separate from the FMC cache. The two caches

operate independently, but can be used together to help accelerate flash reads.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Peter Ruesch,

I think you can use it at the same time, these two cache is from different module.

I/D Cache is from Local Memory controller, FMC cache is from flash memory controller.

These two cache is independent, so you can use it together to accelerate the flash read.

For more details, please refer to the K60 150M reference manual.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

peterruesch
Contributor IV

thanks for your answer.

I'm aware that these two caches are seperated. I'm interested in the expected performance gain you get from them when they are combined.

are there any numbers out there?

best regards

0 Kudos

peterruesch
Contributor IV
0 Kudos