Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change bootloader in ROM

Jump to solution
thiagopalmieri
Contributor III

Hello all,

Is it possible to edit/change the bootloader stored in ROM on a MKL43 or MKL27?

If that is possible, where can I find an example/document describing the process?

Thx

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Thiago Palmieri,

No, you can't put your own bootloader in the ROM, the ROM already have the definite bootloader and can't be erased before out of factory.

If you want to use the customized bootloader, you should put it in the front of the flash, just like the old kinetis chip which don't have the ROM bootloader.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact with me!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Thiago Palmieri,

KL43 and KL27 already have the ROM bootloader, it supports USB,I2C,SPI and LPUART peripheral interfaces, you don't need to use the flash bootloader again.

When you use the ROM bootloader, just make sure your MCU is boot from ROM,  You can check your flash address 0X40D(FTFA_FOPT), bit 7-6 indicator the boot source selection.

About the example and document, please refer to kinetis bootloader1.2.0, the link is:  www.freescale.com/KBOOT

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact me!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
thiagopalmieri
Contributor III

Hello Jingjing,

Yes, I know they have a default bootloader already stored in ROM.

But I want to know if it is possible to write my own customized bootloader and replace the original bootloader in ROM, is that possible? Or in case I need a customized bootloader I will need to use part of the FLASH to store it?

Thanks,

Thiago

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Thiago Palmieri,

No, you can't put your own bootloader in the ROM, the ROM already have the definite bootloader and can't be erased before out of factory.

If you want to use the customized bootloader, you should put it in the front of the flash, just like the old kinetis chip which don't have the ROM bootloader.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact with me!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

0 Kudos
thiagopalmieri
Contributor III

Yes, That is what I thought, but was hoping for a different answer.

Thanks !

0 Kudos