cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Update FRDM-KL26Z Bootloader

Jump to solution
harpster58
Contributor I

OK so call me dumb but I managed to totally brick 3 (new from Digikey) FRDM-KL26Z boards before I figured out that you can't... or can't on a Windows 10 machine. Apparently all it takes is to connect the board to computer via Mini USB with the button held down. That's it "poof" it's bricked, the application is instantly wiped (shows ver 0) in PEMicro info page. All I wanted to do is what I read was recommended, that is to update boot loader from 1.09 in this case to 1.11, and then update the application (boot loader and app available from PEMicro site). I mean I've done it before but must not have been on Win 10.

So I'm simply asking what I can do to reinstall the firmware from the ground up. Don't even think about sending me to the video link where it shows Group Policy settings. THAT DON'T WORK! I now have access to a JLINK DEBUGGER and have installed the 10-pin SWD connector. I have an older KL25 and the JLINK can connect no problem but it can not connect to the KL26Z's where the boot loader got bricked (meaning when you power up holding the button down all you get is 7 or 8 quick LED flashes with a second or so in-between). 

Right now I'm out $60 + shipping and not a happy camper. I just want to get one of these working for a project I'm supposed to work on. I don't even care about OpenSDA now as I will just use the JLINK assuming I can connect to the board in MCUXpresso which I can't now. It's really unbelievable to me that these are still being sold with no warning about how easy it is to render them useless. And then no way that I can find (at least) to fix. I would send them to NXP if they could fix but it's a big company and no idea how to do that. Nothing wrong with the board just the firmware on it. So if you know about this issue I'm talking about (someone must) and know how to fix (have a easy to follow procedure) please post it as I'd be very grateful for it...   Thanks!

1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alan,

I wrote an article here (Recovering OpenSDA Boards with Windows 10 | MCU on Eclipse ) which worked for me. Not sure if you already tried that approach.

I hope this helps,

Erich

PS: you cannot use a J-Link or any other SWD tool to reprogram the K20 directly, as the device is secured with mass erase disabled, at least with the OpenSDA V1.x (FRDM-KL25Z, KL26Z, etc). This has changed with OpenSDA V2.x on more recent boards, see How to Recover the OpenSDA V2.x Bootloader | MCU on Eclipse 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rocketbot27
Contributor I

Hello Erich,

My boot loader shows v0.9 and firmware shows v0.0. I believe my board has bricked. I tried all of the steps mentioned in the article attached above but no luck. Do you have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

You have to update the bootloader and load a new (debug) firmware. You might check https://mcuoneclipse.com/2016/08/01/bricking_and_recovering_opensda_boards_in_windows_8_and_10/ and especially the suggestion of normsiegel: he used a Win7 bootable media.

The easiest is doing this with a Windows 7 machine. The other option is to solder a debug header and use an external debug probe, see this for the KL25Z: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/11/07/jtagswd-debugging-with-the-frdm-kl25z-board/

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
harpster
Contributor I

Hi Erich, I thought I replied but don't see it so doing it again... That worked! I was able to recover ALL three of my FRDM-KL26Z boards so 3 HIGH 5's to you. I had doubts because I had tried everything to get this to work but in the process I wouod just end up brickig the boards. This is valuable information and would have saved me hours of time. I think a link to your instructions should be on the PEMicro page where you download the FW wiith a big warning the Windows 10 requires extra steps to complete the update process.

Anyway I really appreciate you figuring this out and posting it, all my boards now have 1.11 bootloader and 1.18 app and I can debug with JLINK in MCUXpresso. A happy camper once again!   -A

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alan,

great to hear that, thank you :-). Good suggestion about adding such a note, I have pinged P&E about this as I agree this would hopefully help others too.

Best regards,

Erich

0 Kudos
harpster58
Contributor I

Thanks! Erich... at Least three HIGH 5's coming your way as I was able to recover ALL 3 boards! I really had my doubts because over the past few weeks I tried everything and watched all these You-Tube videos etc. and nothing worked. But your instructions were perfect and a link to them REALLY needs to be on the PEMicro page where people download the bootloader and app firmware! 

So now all of my previously bricked boards are functional with 1.11 bootloader  and 1.18 app and I can use JLINK to debug. Fantastic! Thanks soooo much!!!   -A

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alan,

I wrote an article here (Recovering OpenSDA Boards with Windows 10 | MCU on Eclipse ) which worked for me. Not sure if you already tried that approach.

I hope this helps,

Erich

PS: you cannot use a J-Link or any other SWD tool to reprogram the K20 directly, as the device is secured with mass erase disabled, at least with the OpenSDA V1.x (FRDM-KL25Z, KL26Z, etc). This has changed with OpenSDA V2.x on more recent boards, see How to Recover the OpenSDA V2.x Bootloader | MCU on Eclipse 

0 Kudos