cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone suggest an external 8 MB RAM for interfacing with my K60 controller

pramodk_g_
Contributor III

Hi everyone,

i am using kinetics MK60DN512VLQ10 controller on a custom board. Since the internal RAM capacity is not sufficient, I plan to use external SRAM of  8 MB. I plan to make an interface via Fluxbus, will it support 8MB ?  Also please suggest an appropriate part number for this 8MB interface.

Thanks,

Pramod.

Labels (1)
7 Replies

perlam_i_au
Senior Contributor I

There is not an specific recommendation because you can use any RAM memory that achieve normal functionality features but as reference you can base your selection on the memories used on Tower system, like in TWR-K70F120M: Kinetis K70 120 MHz Tower System Module here is used a Micron MT47H64M16HR.

Have a nice day,
Perla Moncada

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ilijak
Contributor II

MT47H64M16HR is SDRAM so it won't fit with MK60DN512VLQ.

I would recommend MT45W8MW16BGX, 16 MiB PSRAM. It supports Flexbus multiplexed operation and burst.

Ilija

pramodk_g_
Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you say what will be the throughput of SDRAM with K60.

Thanks,

Pramod.

0 Kudos

ilijak
Contributor II

It is not a simple calculation and probably shall depend on your application.

FlexBus operating frequency is half of that of internal SRAM. Then the bus is 16 bit which should have impact if your data is 32 bit.

As Perla notes, there are some wait states. However, MT45W8MW16BGX uses synchronous bus with burst, so access time is 3+1+1+1.

The application performance can tremendously improove if you use cache (then u need 120/150 MHz Kinetis device).

You may find our Tower module TWR-FXM interesting for evaluation of MT45W8MW16BGX and application development.

Ilija

<ilijak@siva.com.mk>

perlam_i_au
Senior Contributor I

FlexBus has a throughput up to Bus clock /4 (best case) because devices connected to FlexBus requires at least 4 clock cycles for a read or write operation, this means it will depend on the device you are using, you mention K60, but it could be K60 @ 100MHz or @120MHz, in both cases I suggest you to review the specific datasheet for your part number

As example in this case I am guessing you are using the K60P144M150SF3, please check on 6.4.4 Flexbus switching specifications.

Have a nice day,
Perla Moncada

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

pramodk_g_
Contributor III

Hi perlam.i.au,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Does there any direct example exists to interface with K70 ?

Have a nice day,

Pramod.

0 Kudos

perlam_i_au
Senior Contributor I

I guess you can download the Kinetis 120MHz bare metal sample code and use the SDRAM driver on path:

C:\(your download path)\KINETIS_120MHZ_SC\src\drivers\sdram

Here you will find 3 files that  you can use on your development.

Please let me know if I really understand your question or if the answer was useful.

Have a nice day,
Perla Moncada

0 Kudos