cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootloader for KDS

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi All,

Recently I migrated from CW 10.6 to KDS 3.2.

I have ported application successfully.

I have some query regarding bootloader

1) Can i use CW bootloader? (I am converting .S19 which is generated by CW to .bin file using "Burner" software)

2) If not than Please help me to generate bootloader file.

Regards,

Mayur

Labels (1)
15 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur Savaj,

Of course, you can use the CW bootloader, both the CW bootloader and the KDS bootloader you can use.

If you CW bootloader, you can use the CW associated with the debugger to download the bootloader code to the chip.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi Kerry Zhou,

I created .bin file from KDS and tried to update firmware using DFU Demo tools which i am using for CW (device have CW bootloader).

Firmware updation starts after 30 seconds it throwing error.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur,

Could you give me some pictures about your error?

If you create a simple project, can you download it successfully?

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

Sorry for late reply. I have tried for simple program its giving same error.

pastedImage_3.png

Error Screen

pastedImage_5.png

Thanks,

Mayur Savaj

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur Savaj,

Could you tell me where you get this DFU demo software? Do you design it by yourself?

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

DFU Demo is a firmware updation software provided by freescale.

Thanks,

Mayur Savaj

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur Savaj,

Thank you for your updated information, this tool is provided in AN4770SW, that is really very old.

Could you tell me what the kinetis chip part number you are using? Do you use the bootloader also from the AN4770? If yes, please tell me which bootloader you are using? If you use the CW project, do you can make it work with DFU demo?

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi Kerry Zhou,

We are using MK22FX512 Kinetis part.

I think We are using DFU bootloader provided by AN4770.

We have modified little bit and made it work with CW.

Regards,

Mayur Savaj

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur Savaj,

Please let us check the question details again.

1. MK22FX512 bootloader is using the CW bootloader, then use the DFU demo tool to download the app firmware, is it right?

2. When use the CW app relocated to the according address, it works OK with DFU demo.

3. When use the KDS app relocated to the according address, DFU demo can't download it, is it right?

So, the main problem is in the app side, not the bootloader side, because the CW bootloader works when you also use the CW app code.

Please help me to check it, whether my understanding about the issue is right or not?

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi Kerry Zhou,

Your understanding about the issue is exactly right.

Let me explain actual scenario in details.

1) CW: CW is generating .s19 files and that files we are converting to .bin file using "Burner" software provided by freescale.

2) KDS: in case of KDS, directly generating .bin files(not able to download in DFU Demo).

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur Savaj,

Thank you for your updated information.

Do you try to use the KDS generate the hex file, and check the relocated address, whether it is correct? Which address you have relocated in the bootloader, then your app also need to relocate to that address, do you modify the linker file in the KDS app project?

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for information.

I have modified linker file in KDS as per CW files.

But still same issue.

Shall i need to create bootloader again for KDS?

Regards,

Mayur Savaj

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur Savaj,

Do you have any other IDE, then generate the .bin code to download it with your CW bootloader?

Besides, you also can use the KDS generate the .srec code, then use Burner to convert it to bin, and try it again.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos

mayursavaj
Contributor III

Hi Kerry Zhou,

I don't have any other IDE aport from CW and KDS.

I have generated .srec code from KDS and converted to .bin using burner software.But  issue still exist.

Today My CW license also expired. so I have to migrate to KDS only.

Thanks,

Mayur Savaj

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mayur Savaj,

Please try the MCUXpresso IDE which can be downloaded from this link, this IDE is used to replace the KDS.

MCUXpresso IDE|Eclipse-based Integrated Development Environment (IDE)|NXP 

This IDE will also generate the .s19 file directly.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos