KDS Debug config not detecting PEMicro Multilink

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS Debug config not detecting PEMicro Multilink

thanhtruong
Contributor III

Hello guys, I am currently running KDS 2.0 on Fedora and I am trying to debug our application.  However the debugger does not appear to be detecting the PEMicro multilink. I've installed the "driver" that is on PEMicro website.  After selecting the PEMicro interface and hitting "refresh" a list of connected multilink should have been populated.  I've confirm under dmesg that it is indeed connected.  It shows up under lsusb.  I've installed the driver. 

Does anybody have a check list of things to check?  I am new to KDS and the contractor that was working on this project only had it setup on a windows box.

Here's the message I get when I try to debug without a port selected:

P&E GDB Server, Version 5.13.02.00

Copyright 2014, P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc, All rights reserved

Loading library /opt/Freescale/KDS_2.0.0/eclipse/plugins/com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.pne_1.1.7.201410171532/lin/gdi/unit_ngs_arm_internal.so ... Done.

Command line arguments: -device=KE04Z128M4 -startserver -singlesession -serverport=7224 -interface=USBMULTILINK -speed=5000 -port= -USE_CYCLONEPRO_RELAYS=0 -FORCE_MASS_ERASE=0 

Device selected is ke04z128m4

PE-ERROR: Unable to auto-detect debug hardware. Please specify on the command-line. Halting.

Labels (1)
14 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Thanh,

KDS 3.2.0 does support MQX as it does in 3.0.0. Same for Processor Expert: it is supported both in 3.0.0 and 3.2.0. V3.2.0 is same as 3.0.0, but with all the upates included, which *does* include a P&E update for new host operating systems.

Regards,

Erich

PS: https://mcuoneclipse.com/2016/04/02/nxp-kinetis-design-studio-v3-2-0/

thanhtruong
Contributor III

Thanks for your help, Alice and Erich. It is very much appreciated.

Thanh

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello ,

Does your board is demo board or customer board ?

It seems the KDS v2.0 not supported the Win 10 system from the kds user guide :

pastedImage_1.png

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

thanhtruong
Contributor III

Hello Alice, the board is custom design for us. For your information, this setup is detected just fine on a Windows 7 host. We like to develop on Linux or a virtual machine that runs under Linux.

What I need to know is what do I need to do to get it to work under Linux? Different interface device? different KDS version? I need a setup that works. KDS 2.0 does not mention Windows 10 as a supported version. Is that the cause of the driver P&E multilink detection problem? Will moving the VM to Windows 7 resolve the issue? Would running it under compatibility setting help? Does it not work because it is in a VM?

If you can't answer the above questions, how about we try to get it working under Linux CentOS 7. I have the same problem on both.

Thanh

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Thanh,

There is  KDS version  for LINUX :

https://nxp.flexnetoperations.com/control/frse/product?entitlementId=123588587&lineNum=1&authContact... 

pastedImage_1.png

For your situation, first please be sure your hardware is no error , for example, use other IDE does it can connect ?

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

thanhtruong
Contributor III

Alice, I already installed KDS 2.0 for Linux. I have the exact problem. The exact problem with detecting the P&E multitlink. I've also confirm that it is working when I connect it to a windows 7 machine. I just need to know why it is not detecting.

I told you I have the same problem on both environment.

Thanh

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Thank,

Please install the KDS v3.2 to have  try .

Also at the same time i will install LInux , then install KDS to have a try .

BR

Alice

thanhtruong
Contributor III

Hey Alice, I got good news and bad news. The good news is that the P&E multlink is detected in KDS 3.2, the bad news is none of my projects build in 3.2. Talking to the contractor that build this application for us the said that KDS 3.2 does not support MQX. It only support FreeRTOS. He also mention that our processor might not be support by processorexpert in KDS 3.2.

Are there a patch for 2.0 that I can use? Are there other interface device that you would suggest for our particular setup?

Thanh

leochao
Contributor II

Hi Thanh,

Could you share me how to detect P&E multlink in KDS 3.2?

I also got the same problem in windows 7.

Leo

0 Kudos

thanhtruong
Contributor III

I actually never got it to work in a Win10 virutal machine.  I ported our projects to Linux (CentOS 7 and Fedora 23) and update KDS to 3.2.  A notable difference in 3.2 is that when I did a KDS update (Help --> Check For Update) I notice a "P&E driver update".  After resolving a few more problem related to path, dependency, and includes it build successfully and the multilink was detected.

I hope that help.

Thanh

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Thanh,

Please tell me which chip or board do you used .

And check the Device Manaager whether it detect the PEMicro multilink after connect the board.

And if yes, then check the KDS debugger , please show me this screenshot on your side :

pastedImage_0.png

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

thanhtruong
Contributor III

Hello Alice, please note that I have this setup on both a Windows 10 VM and Linux Fedora and I have the same problem on both. I'll send you the screenshot of the Linux environment. I have two chip to debug, the KE04Z128M4 and the mk64fx512vll12 which is the equivalent to the K64FX512M12 in the device name drop down.

I've also attach the screenshot in case it does not show up.

Thanh

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Thanh,

Sorry i have not the Linux system and WIN 10.

While from your screenshot we can see , it have not detect the PE debug port on your board.

pastedImage_0.png

Below is the screenshot after i connect the PEMicro multilink to board, and the PC, the KDS shows :

pastedImage_1.png

So first i think first you should check whether your PC detect your PE driver , on Win7 it shows :

pastedImage_2.png

BR

Alice

0 Kudos

thanhtruong
Contributor III

Hello Alice, I am aware of that the device need to be detected by the OS before you can use it in the IDE. Below is a screenshot of both my Win10 VM and Fedora 22 host. Both show that the the device was detected by the OS, but not showing up under the KDS Debug Configurations Debugger tab under the field Port.

Windows VM:

Fedora:

It's detected by both Fedora and Win10, however KDS does not appear to detect it.

Thanh

0 Kudos