license for Oracle Java which is installed together wich FreeMASTER 3.2

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

license for Oracle Java which is installed together wich FreeMASTER 3.2

AndreasVetter
Contributor I

Dear nxp-support team, Can you confirm the use of "Oracle Java" which is included in the installation of FreeMASTER is already included in your license-contract for FeeMASTER? Background information for the reason of my question: I have bought your microcontroller-board "S32K144EVB-Q100". I do the communication with FreeMASTER 3.2. I do not use the LITE-Version, but simply FreeMASTER. As I understood the use of the sofware is OK for you als long as I use it in combination with a microcontroller-board from you. My information technology department recognized that the installation of FreeMASTER also includes "Oracle Java". Apparently Oracle has changed their licence-model for "Oracle Java". In case only one application in the company uses "Oracle Java" the company has to pay for ALL computers in the company. My company refuses this kind of license-model. There seems only to be one way to still use FreeMASTER for me as written in the beginning: Can you confirm the use of "Oracle Java" which is included in the installation of FreeMASTER is already included in your License-contract for FeeMASTER? Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @AndreasVetter,

Currently, I don't have an answer to your question.

Certainly, Java is not required by FreeMASTER nor FreeMASTER Lite tools. It is used solely by the installer (base on InstallAnywhere).

In order to avoid JRE usage you can run the installer as follows:

FMSTRSW32.exe LAX_VM path_to_your_openjdk/bin/java.exe

After the installation is complete, you can safely remove the "jre" folder from the installation directory.

I will come with updates related to currently distributed JRE, after I check it out with our legal team.

0 Kudos

AndreasVetter
Contributor I

Hello Julian,

thanks for your reply and the good hint. I will check if this is OK for our IT-team. 

In case you have further information I would appreciate that a lot.

Regards Andreas

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @AndreasVetter,

I got updates from our legal team:

According to Java 8u202 download page, this version is provided under the BCL license and those terms remain unchanged with new license/subscription introduced by Oracle. Basically that Java 8u202 can be used free of charge if BCL license terms are met.

Hope it helps

0 Kudos

ramprakash12
Contributor II

Based on the information provided, it appears that Oracle Java is included in the installation of FreeMASTER. However, the licensing agreement for FreeMASTER does not explicitly mention the inclusion of Oracle Java's license. The license for FreeMASTER is personal, non-transferable, and non-exclusive, and it only covers the use and reproduction of the Licensed Software in conjunction with the design of products using, or associated with, an NXP integrated circuit. It does not grant any implied rights under any NXP or third party Intellectual Property Rights. Therefore, it cannot be assumed that the Oracle Java license is included in the FreeMASTER license.

As for the Oracle Java license, it is indeed true that Oracle has changed their license model. If Oracle Java is used in any application within a company, the company is required to pay for all computers in the company. This is a separate issue from the FreeMASTER license and would need to be addressed directly with Oracle.

It is recommended to consult with your legal department or seek legal advice to understand the implications of Oracle's license model on your company. If necessary, you may need to consider alternatives to Oracle Java or negotiate a separate license agreement with Oracle.

0 Kudos