cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM won't work with Freemaster or KDS

Jump to solution
lancefisher
Contributor III

On one of my Windows 10 computers I cannot get USBDM to work with Freemaster (version 2.0 or 3.0) or KDS (3.2.  I've tried reinstalling Freemaster and the USBDM drivers and utilities with no effect.  The USBDM utilities (ARM GDB server, ARM Programmer) work fine so it appears there's nothing wrong with the drivers or adapter.  When I attempt to connect using plug-in "FreeMASTER BDM Communication Plug-in "CoretxM, PowerPC, HSC08/12, Coldfire" the USBDM option is greyed out in the Config dialog box.

I also cannot get the KDS debugger to connect via the USBDM adapter.  I am able to configure and launch a Debug session and the specific USBDM adapter serial# appears in the "BDM Selection" pull-down but the launch terminates with:

"Error with command: gdb --version
Cannot run program "gdb": Launching failed"

The same hardware and software are working on a couple other computers in my lab all of which are running the same Win 10 OS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Dear Lance,

yes, FreeMASTER 3.0 has removed support for USBDM interface due to licensing issues. Installing FreeMASTER 3.0 also disables the USBDM access in FreeMASTER 2.x versions. The only way to keep using USBDM with FreeMASTER is to uninstall 3.0 and re-install 2.0.

The latest FreeMASTER 3.0.1 (and the upcoming 3.0.2) contains the latest P&E Micro, Segger j-Link and ARM CMSIS-DAP interface libraries. Use of debugging probes from one of these vendors should be quite straightforward replacement for USBDM.

I'm sorry I have no better answer, 

Michal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Dear Lance,

yes, FreeMASTER 3.0 has removed support for USBDM interface due to licensing issues. Installing FreeMASTER 3.0 also disables the USBDM access in FreeMASTER 2.x versions. The only way to keep using USBDM with FreeMASTER is to uninstall 3.0 and re-install 2.0.

The latest FreeMASTER 3.0.1 (and the upcoming 3.0.2) contains the latest P&E Micro, Segger j-Link and ARM CMSIS-DAP interface libraries. Use of debugging probes from one of these vendors should be quite straightforward replacement for USBDM.

I'm sorry I have no better answer, 

Michal

0 Kudos