Received wrong license key for FreeMaster 3.1 Linux (only NXP can help me)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received wrong license key for FreeMaster 3.1 Linux (only NXP can help me)

Jump to solution
ern0
Contributor II

I apologize for spamming you with something that may not be useful to others, because only NXP can help me with this problem, but NXP tech support suggested I post my question here.

Symptom

I Couldn'n install FreeMaster 3.1. for Linux, because the Software Activation Code NXP sent to me is for another version: FreeMaster Lite 1.0.R. I couln't find such at the download section.

renditionDownload.png

Environment

• Ubuntu Mate 21.10
  • Oracle VirtualBox

Steps to reproduce

• Downloaded the SDK
  • Received Activation Code for SDK
  • Started installing the SDK
  • Entered Activation Code
  • Finished installation
  • Downloaded FreeMaster 3.1 (latest)
  • Received Activation Code for FreeMaster
  • Started installing FreeMaster
  • Entered Activation Code
  • Got error message
  • Entered Activation Code again
  • Got error message (see screenshot)
  • Submitted a ticket
  • Added screenshot
  • Wait for answer
  • Support guy redirected here

Notice

This licensing method is counterproductive (from the NXP point of view), and very dangerous and annoying (from the point of users).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The right tool, both for developing an application and loading, debugging it on NXP hardware is S32 Design Studio. 

Unfortunately, the best I could do in this case is pass your message to the IDE team because FreeMASTER is unrelated to S32DS. And I guess there is a misunderstanding - FreeMASTER does not offer the functionality of flashing/loading applications to MCUs.

I would suggest reaching out directly to S32DS team via S32DS community and open a separate thread describing your issue (S32SD not being able to detect the MCU on Linux).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ern0
Contributor II

Oh, thanks, FreeMaster Lite is installed now. When I start it, it prints some messages, I think the most important one is: listening on port 8090. Is it okay?

FreeMaster Lite is runningFreeMaster Lite is running

How can I upload my ELF to the S32K148EVB-Q176 board? The device does not appear on the list:

port_nope.pngAnyway, the target is not the exact type. I'm running the application as root (not too elegant, but it does not even starts with regular user), the /dev/ttyACM0 is present, the VM (Oracle VirtualBox 6.3) is set to enable USB3.0 on the USB port, the ELF is created, I just want to upload it to the board.

There is a very important thing, don't take it as offense, but as a feedback: I have never experienced such many frustration and "oh, I have no glue, what's happening and why". I have been worked with several embedded systems, and there are serious problems with them, e.g. there is no 100% functioning I2C library, it must be patched all the time, but this is the first one, where I am looking for help before even start coding, I need help to install the SDK. I want to solve (and understand how things works) everything myself, but with NXP, I've given up this approach. I am jumping from forum to Stkov, and trying kick things to live.

Let's see, you wan to install the SDK on a brand new Ubuntu. Did you know, that it just does not work? The compilation silently fails, in the Eclipse console window you can see 3 lines. When you go to CLI, find the directory, and start make in the shell, you can see the same 3 lines and another one, which says, LD (lif I remember well) is failed to start. Good luck with that, it took only 2-3 hoiurs to solve. And it was only one of the tricks.

Although, let's assume, I've installed everything, and I can compile and upload my program. Can I do it 5 years later, when NXP licence servers have a new API, or just moved? Some guy will start up my VM everything installed - can he or she use it?

If we have a medical project, with painfully strict regulations, what do you thing, will we choose NXP? Or even in case of a simple project, what do you tink, how many days are planned to install and set up the SDK?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ern0,

Here is the link to the latest license for FreeMASTER Lite. It should redirect you to FreeMASTER product license page and generate a new mail in case it is the first time you access this link.

FreeMASTER installer should prompt a message to visit this link/web page after component selection step:

Capture3.PNG

In case the mail is not generated, you can find it on the licensed products page assigned to on your account on NXP site:

Untitled.png

Kind regards,
Iulian

0 Kudos
ern0
Contributor II

Hi, @iulian_stan,

I have already installed FreeMaster Lite.

I just don't know, how can I upload my ELF:

• the SDK can't recognize the port,
  • FreeMaster looks like a CLI daemon.

See screenshots from my previous comment.

Anyway, this is another topic, not FreeMaster-install related.

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ern0,

I was looking for a solution that could potentially answer your question related to S32DS, but unfortunately did not find one, so the best way is to address this issue with S32DS team.

FreeMASTER listening on port 8090 is an expected behavior. Meaning that the JSON-RPC server is running and ready to accept commands.

I don't know your background of using FreeMASTER, but please note that by "ready" I do not mean that it is connected or can see the board board at start. You'll need to use the API to connect to the board, considering that your already added (and configured) FreeMASTER communication library to your embedded application.

Kind regards,
Iulian

0 Kudos
ern0
Contributor II

Okay, thanks.

But then, what's the easiest way to upload ELF to the board? I don't want to play with FreeMaster API or anything, I just want press the big green button to run the helloworld example program on the board.

As I mentioned, the SDK installation was a challenge, and once it installed, it was not working - which was a new experience for me, never seen such before.

Probably, as we say, I'm "not the sharpest knife in the drawer", but a helloworld should not be a 3-day challenge even for a beginner.

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The right tool, both for developing an application and loading, debugging it on NXP hardware is S32 Design Studio. 

Unfortunately, the best I could do in this case is pass your message to the IDE team because FreeMASTER is unrelated to S32DS. And I guess there is a misunderstanding - FreeMASTER does not offer the functionality of flashing/loading applications to MCUs.

I would suggest reaching out directly to S32DS team via S32DS community and open a separate thread describing your issue (S32SD not being able to detect the MCU on Linux).

0 Kudos