Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to choose between network communication protocols

Jump to solution
lucabarbiero
Contributor IV

Hi,

FreeMASTER seems to support both UDP and TCP/IP network protocols. Based on what considerations should users choose one or the other in their application? What I am after is fast communication and reduced waiting time to download large recorder buffers.

Regards,

Luca barbiero

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Luca,

there should not be a significant difference between the two. I would give more trust to a simpler UDP as it requires less user resources and may be a bit faster. The UDP is also closer to the native FreeMASTER protocol, which is a simple datagram-oriented request/response communication. With TCP, the messages are extracted from a data stream which requires a bit more complex processing.

As the network support is still quite fresh, we do not have so much experience with the performance, robustness and other features yet ourselves. You may share your observations from using the UDP and TCP with the community later using this thread.

Thanks,
Michal

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lucabarbiero
Contributor IV

Thank you for the opinion @MichalH, I will share my findings as I get UDP network protocol working for my application.

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Luca,

there should not be a significant difference between the two. I would give more trust to a simpler UDP as it requires less user resources and may be a bit faster. The UDP is also closer to the native FreeMASTER protocol, which is a simple datagram-oriented request/response communication. With TCP, the messages are extracted from a data stream which requires a bit more complex processing.

As the network support is still quite fresh, we do not have so much experience with the performance, robustness and other features yet ourselves. You may share your observations from using the UDP and TCP with the community later using this thread.

Thanks,
Michal