cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeMaster 3.2.2.2 is not responding?

Jump to solution
jamesli
Contributor IV

I tried to run two FreeMaster and talk to two targets in two different com ports, it works fine, but next day, FreeMaster is not responding when I try to start it, only a cursor cycle appears for hours, I uninstall and then re-install FreeMaster 3.2.2.2, still not responding, I then delete register file in \.com.zero\ folder, still not fix it.  Please let me know whether  FreeMaster can run two targets in the same PC? How can I make FreeMaster to talk to at least one target? Please help! Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello,
please help me better understand the issue. I have some questions:

• You write that the FreeMASTER does not start "the next day". Does it mean it never starts again and even re-installation does not help?
  • Did you find any action you can do to start it again?
  • Do you run FreeMASTER using Windows Start menu, or by opening a project file? Please try to run "emtpy" FreeMASTER first from the Start menu to see if it starts.
  • What version do you have? (it can be seen in the Help/About box or in the Properties of file pcmaster.exe). The latest one is 3.2.2.2.
  • You can try to rename "c:\NXP\FreeMASTER 3.2\FreeMASTER\html" to html.backup and try to start the FreeMASTER again. This is to rule out issues with the web-browser components.
  • If this does not help, please try to clean the windows registry by deleting/renaming the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Freescale\FreeMASTER. Then start the FreeMASTER using the Windows Start button. The main view will look strange, but you can use a menu View/Application layout/Restore factory default. 

Thanks,
Michal

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello,
please help me better understand the issue. I have some questions:

• You write that the FreeMASTER does not start "the next day". Does it mean it never starts again and even re-installation does not help?
  • Did you find any action you can do to start it again?
  • Do you run FreeMASTER using Windows Start menu, or by opening a project file? Please try to run "emtpy" FreeMASTER first from the Start menu to see if it starts.
  • What version do you have? (it can be seen in the Help/About box or in the Properties of file pcmaster.exe). The latest one is 3.2.2.2.
  • You can try to rename "c:\NXP\FreeMASTER 3.2\FreeMASTER\html" to html.backup and try to start the FreeMASTER again. This is to rule out issues with the web-browser components.
  • If this does not help, please try to clean the windows registry by deleting/renaming the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Freescale\FreeMASTER. Then start the FreeMASTER using the Windows Start button. The main view will look strange, but you can use a menu View/Application layout/Restore factory default. 

Thanks,
Michal

jamesli
Contributor IV

Hi, MichalH, 

Many thanks for your help. I did all your suggestions and the last step deleting registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Freescale\FreeMASTER that fixes my problems. I can see the registry folder is corrupted and full lots of unwanted folders and am not sure why and how these folders are got in there.  I guess because I ran two FreeMaster windows in the same PC, even with different targets in different communication ports. IS this means that I cannot run two FreeMaster windows in the same PC simultaneously?

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello,

well, it is true that there are just one registry folder and it is used by any running instance. So if two instances are running, they both use the same. 

On the other side, the write access to registry is synchronized by Windows. Corruption shall not occur. Also, writing to registry takes place only when closing the FreeMASTER or creating new project. 

We are running/using multiple instances quite often, and never seen an issue like this.

Do you still have a backup copy of the "corrupted" registry entries you have seen? It would perhaps help us to understand what has happened.

Thanks,
Michal

0 Kudos
jamesli
Contributor IV

Hi, MichalH,

Thank you for detailed explanations!  Sorry, I deleted the HKEY in RegEdit last time, did not back it up, cannot find them in recycle bin now. Clearly these folders are random numbered temporary folders used by FreeMaster, there is no such folders in uncorrupted registered HKEY entry. Yes, I run two instances fine, but cannot start FreeMaster on the next day, I think the corruption of registry occurred after FreeMaster was closed.    

Another possible cause corruption is that I run two different MCU targets via two different communication ports, but the two FreeMaster project names are the same (however, they are in different folders) because I only change MCU code, I will rename Free Master project name to try them next time. Is this make sense?

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello,

so it seems the issue is easily repeatable on your side. Can you please do some experiments?:

• Run the two instances just like you did, but do not open the ports in any of them. Just close them again to see if the issue occurs.
  • If no issue occurs, do the same, but open port in just one of them.
  • Do you use a JSON-RPC or ActiveX interfacing to the instances? Any custom command line parameters?
  • Repeat the situation with two connections, but avoid the JSON-RPC or ActiveX communication.
  • Whenever the issue happens - does removing the registry key helps? If yes, please share an exported registry key with us before deleting it.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Regards,
Michal

0 Kudos
jamesli
Contributor IV

Hi, Michal,

I did the tests that you suggested, there is no problem occurred, I did not JSON-RPC or ActiveX communication. I also changed name of project so that two different project names that do not cause confuse and not corrupt window registry. I only run Free Master in this test, there is no any other software running, that also help. I even re-start PC and test again, still no problem.

Thank you very much for help!

0 Kudos