Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeMASTER Lite - MATLAB API examples

Jump to solution
lucabarbiero
Contributor IV

Hi,

In the past I did some MATLAB scripting to interface with FreeMASTER desktop app.

Now that my development environment shifted to Linux, my only option is to work with FreeMASTER Lite. Despite I see mentions of a possibility to do MATLAB scripting , I can't find any example. Is there something that I can have a look at?

Regards,

Luca

0 Kudos
1 Solution
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @lucabarbiero,

MatLAB scripting support relies on ActiveX framework which is specific to Windows platform, and is supported only by the main FreeMASTER tool that registers the corresponding ActiveX object.

The way FreeMASTER Lite works - it exposes a JSON-RPC API that can be consumed by any 3rd party app. To use it with MatLAB you would need to implement your own JSON-RPC client. You can use the JavaScript/Python examples (/path_to_FreeMASTER_Lite/scripting examples) as reference.

Kind regards,
Iulian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lucabarbiero
Contributor IV

It would be very much helpful to have also a minimal MATLAB client example in FreeMASTER Lite/scripting examples

0 Kudos
lucabarbiero
Contributor IV

Understood, so it does take more effort in this case to get that running, because I don't know JSON-RPC, nor I know much of JavaScript/Python..

So I should start from FreeMASTER Lite/scripting examples/Python/FML_Python.ipynb. This is not Python if I understand well, but there is this other Jupyter environment.

It's a lot of things to learn to get back to my beloved FreeMASTER functionalities in Linux. But I understand how powerful this is, once users have learnt how to interact with it.

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Those examples make use of Jupyter. You can se it as an interactive web based IDE.

Feel free to post more questions in case you are facing any issues making it work or need assistance with JSON-RPC API.

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @lucabarbiero,

MatLAB scripting support relies on ActiveX framework which is specific to Windows platform, and is supported only by the main FreeMASTER tool that registers the corresponding ActiveX object.

The way FreeMASTER Lite works - it exposes a JSON-RPC API that can be consumed by any 3rd party app. To use it with MatLAB you would need to implement your own JSON-RPC client. You can use the JavaScript/Python examples (/path_to_FreeMASTER_Lite/scripting examples) as reference.

Kind regards,
Iulian

0 Kudos