Fails to reinstall FreeMaster 3.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fails to reinstall FreeMaster 3.0

niclas_karlsson
Contributor I

Fails to reinstall FreeMaster 3.0. What I did was to uninstall the FreeMaster and then try to install it again, which fails. The dialog says that there already is a product install, but there isn't any product installed. I have also removed the C:\NXP\ directory, but it still complains.

pastedImage_1.png

What can I do to solve this?

Thanks!

Niclas

0 Kudos
12 Replies

tonyp
Senior Contributor II

I had the same problem and the only think that worked for me was to use Windows Restore to go before the original installation of FreeMASTER.  Then, tried again and it started.  However, I ended up completely removing it once again because there were too many issues with FreeMASTER v3.  Now, using the 2.x version.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi tonyp,

Were those issues installer related ?

In case there are also other type of problems, could describe them in another thread or mail them directly to us, so we can address those in the future version.

Thank you,

Iulian

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Niclas,

Could you please check the following file on your system 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zero G Registry\.com.zerog.registry.xml

In case it contains a FreeMASTER entry in <products> list the uninstaller did/could not clean all the information.

If there are other entries beside FreeMASTER, back up the file and remove it from the disk. Relaunch the installer.

Kind regards,

Iulian

0 Kudos

niclas_karlsson
Contributor I

Hi,

I couldn't find any FreeMASTER in the product list in that file. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately, as far as I know, that's the only registry (file) checked by installer. In order to exclude any issues related to this one could you:

• Also check the 64 bit folder (inside Program Files instead of Program Files (x86)) - although it should not exist there
  • Try renaming the 32 bit file and launch the installer (or just confirm that this did not help in case you already tried it) - just to make sure there's no other faulty data. 

I will try to reproduce it on my side.

1. What version of the executable are you trying to install (latest one on NXP site is 3.0.2.6):

Capture2.PNG2. Is there any old FreeMASTER entries in "Program and Features" window ? If yes - what version ?

Capture1.PNG

In case it's not displayed, there may still be a Windows registry entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FreeMASTER 3.0

0 Kudos

niclas_karlsson
Contributor I

I tried to rename the installer exe if that is what you meant. Didn't work.

This is the screenshot from the installer details:

pastedImage_1.png

No entry for FreeMaster in the "Uninstall or change program".

And I couldn't find the key in the windows register.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Niclas,

I meant renaming C:\Program Files (x86)\Zero G Registry\.com.zerog.registry.xml (ex: .com.zerog.registry.xml_backup) to force the installer to recreate the file from scratch. So far I was able to reproduce this behavior by "breaking" that file.

Regards,

Iulian

0 Kudos

niclas_karlsson
Contributor I

I tried to install Freemaster 3.0 + FreeMaster (service?) Lite at first, but that failed so I uninstalled and tried again with only the FreeMaster 3.0. Can that have something to do with the problem?

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Niclas,

I thought about another work around. The reasoning behind is the following: if your previous installation failed, the uninstaller could be lacking some entries in the cleanup list.

Note: it applies in case you have colleagues using similar PC setup.

1. Install same version of FreeMASTER on another PC (if not already installed)
  2. Copy the following two folders from the installation directory to your PC _FreeMASTER_installation and jre.
  3. Run Uninstall FreeMASTER.exe from the copied _FreeMASTER_installation folder
    If it succeeds you should be able to see the following window
    Capture.PNG
  4. Uninstall Product (it did a proper cleanup in my case and I was able launch the installer after)

If that does may need to wait for another release of 3.0 to avoid making Windows Restore as per Tony's comment.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Component selection should've not affected the system in such a way, because from installer's point of view there's only one application called "FreeMASTER 3.0" which contains 2 sub components: "FreeMASTER" - desktop application, and "FreeMASTER Lite" - service. If it where to identify an already existing component you'd be prompted with the following screen.

Capture2.PNGWhich would allow you to manage sub-components.

This behavior (including the one you are facing) is based on the information stored in com.zerog.registry.xml (according to the packager we are using). I'm currently checking whether there may be other verification mechanisms or non default file location.

0 Kudos

niclas_karlsson
Contributor I

Ok, I renamed the xml-file and tried to install again. But it is the same as before.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I run into the same issue. I tried to upgrade from 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2 and at some point, the installation stopped. Since patience is not my strength, I canceled the installation and resume the installer, but I got the same "Aboard" issue.

Fortunately, I managed to fix by deleting every FreeMASTER related folders (program files/Freemaster + Zero-G Registry), then PC restart. 

In the end, I could run the installer again without Lite plugin selection.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

0 Kudos