Windows 8 USB CDC Setup (or .inf) file ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 USB CDC Setup (or .inf) file ?

TomLEE
Contributor III

Hello, 

The .inf file (see atachment) that I usually use in Windows 7 (32 AND 64 bits) to install Virtual Com Port when I plugged MC9S08JM60 or MCF51JM128 with Freescale USB CDC Stack is refused under Windows 8.

Does someone can help me to modify this file ?

Or could you give me a file that work ?

I found nothing about this issue in freescale webpages...

Many thanks,

Thomas.

Original Attachment has been moved to: Freescale-CDC_driver_x86_x64.inf.zip

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

severinassant
Contributor I

If you want your CDC device to work in any Windows 8 Machine (32 and 64) without need of drivers or .inf files you can set your stack VID to 04D8 and PID to 000A and your device will be recognized as Serial Port automatically, windows 8 has built-in drivers (which is in reality the same drivers used by the inf files posted in this thread that are made by Microsoft) associated to this VID/PID pair. The downside is that in the Hardware manager the manufacturer will show as "Microchip Technology, Inc.". I know it's a nuisance to show a Freescale device as a Microchip but somehow Microchip managed to make Microsoft ship a .inf file with windows 8 to recognize their devices automatically and other manufacturers didn't.

AlexJLennon
Contributor II

Great suggestion but didn't work for me unfortunately

0 Kudos

stephanick
Contributor I

Attached is a tweaked self-signed driver that worked for me, its purpose is to allow you to load the driver without first "disabling driver signature checking" on Windows 8.  It is self-signed, so it will give you a warning that the cert cannot be verified.

If you would like some more detail, here is a link to instructions on how to do it:

Test Signing (Windows Drivers)

NOTE TO FREESCALE:  please sign your driver with a legitimate signature.  It isn't that involved, doesn't take very long to do OR test, and would clean up these issues.

0 Kudos

TomLEE
Contributor III

This is the OFFICIAL Freescale answer :

Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:56 PM

Subject: RE: SR# 1-963808141 : Windows 8 USB CDC Setup (or .inf) file ?

In reply to your Service Request SR 1-963808141:

I’m afraid that there is not available an INF file with Windows 8 support

yet. It may be probably included on future releases of Freescale USB stack

(which includes the CDC example).

Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences this may cause. Have a

nice day.

Thank you for your interest in Freescale Semiconductor products and for the

opportunity to serve you.

Should you need to contact us with regard to this message, please see the

notes below.

Best Regards,

Carlos Jose

Technical Support

Freescale Semiconductor

SO WAIT AND SEE...

markgreggory
Contributor II

Any update yet for Windows 8 support? K20/K60 CDC projects have the same issue of not allowing the driver to load because it is unsigned.

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos

alejandra_guzman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is the file that worked on my side. There is also a picture showing the Win8 device manager

Please make sure that you change the extension to .inf

0 Kudos

markgreggory
Contributor II

I get the same unsigned driver message for Windows 8. I think Freescale needs to supply a CAT file that goes along with the inf.

0 Kudos

rjohnson
Contributor II

This is because of Windows 8 blocking the installation of unsigned drivers. There's a workaround, but it's a bit of a pain:

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned...

0 Kudos