Programming Altera Cyclone2 FPGA via Coldfire flash

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming Altera Cyclone2 FPGA via Coldfire flash

Matt_OES
Contributor I

I would like to store the binary file for a Cyclone2 FPGA within the program flash for a Coldfire and use the Coldfire to burn the FPGA on start-up. How is this done?

So far I have been led to believe that the "microblaster" code is the way to do it, but it looks to me after some reading that it is just a way to connect to the FPGA from a PC via the Coldfire. I don't want this. I want the Coldfire to have the FPGA program in it and burn it on start-up.

Is there perhaps a modification of the microblaster intended for this purpose? Am I perhaps mis-interpreting the microblaster's purpose?

Help!

-Matt

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Matt_OES
Contributor I

JWW, thanks for that information. I will head over to their site today and see what JRunner is all about.

FPGA programming files can be stored and streamed to the FPGA in a compressed format. The FPGA will automatically decompress it. Using the MCF52254, we won't run into any flash issues - the application is fairly small.

I will check back here after some reading.

-Matt

0 Kudos

JWW
Contributor V

Matt-OES,

I believe....if memory serves me correctly...that your understanding of microblaster for coldfire is correct.  It is intended to allow you to update Altera devices through the coldfire.  Quite a handy feature for field upgrades of CPLD devices for example.

In your case... This use case is quite common in the FPGA world.  I remember seeing an Altera appnote on how to use a programmable machine to program a "fpga record" into the FPGA/CPLD.  OK...  :smileyhappy:  Just went and poked around.  I think what you need is the JRunner source code from Altera.  Should be simple to implement.  There is an appnote that goes with it.  AN414...

Just go to Altera's site and punch in JRunner in the search field.  I think the rest will become clear.

Hope this helps

-JWW

0 Kudos

JWW
Contributor V

Matt-OES,

One more item I forgot to mention.   Be aware that the programming files for Cyclone devices can be quite large and may use all or a significant part of your available flash in a CF MCU. 

FYI

-JWW

0 Kudos