cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution of Interniche-NicheLite and FSL code

Alban
Senior Contributor II
In Answer to
http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CFCOMM&message.id=2603
Thread Split

Hello,

I'm sorry Paul, but I'll need a bit of education...
I imagine we could probably get something set up like a BugZilla or SourceForge.
But as I was flagged a license trouble, I imagine Interniche/Nichlite are not GNU/Freeware/GPL ?

I don't work with the series of products and am not familiar with their tools.
Do you have a link defining what Interniche/Nichelite are, and who they are from ?

Once I have a better idea of what they are, we can discuss about ways to distribute via FSL website.
For instance, we could create a board in the Community Projects or use Community Files.
Community Files are FSL moderated and we can add a license easily if needed but takes time to publish as you need manual intervention from a FSL employee to post the file.
Community Projects could be nice also but depends on the product and support available.

Cheers,
Alban.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

mccPaul
Contributor I
Hi Alban,

Interniche are a commercial RTOS/Stack developer: http://www.iniche.com/. I imagine that they have done a deal with Freescale so that the Nichelite version of their tasking TCP/IP stack can be distributed for free by FreeScale.

Most of the more advanced elements of the stack are left out of the Nichelite version (e.g. webserver), but FreeScale wrote a basic webserver and flash file system to go with it.

As the Interniche code as distributed by FreeScale has a few bugs in it, and as it is not terribly well formatted and documented, it looks like it may be rather old. There is an interesting side issue - if you go to www.freertos.com you can register and download the basic Interniche stack for free as well. Judging by that site's forum, very little activity takes place. I only found this by mistake as I was looking for www.freertos.org which hosts an entirely different (open-source) rtos.

This is the copyright notice fromthe web server code written by Freescale:
Code:
// Copyright (c) 2006, Freescale Semiconductor// Freescale Confidential Proprietary// For use on Freescale products only.//// File name : emg_http_server.c// Project name: emg_HTTP web server for Coldfire// Author: Eric Gregori (847) 651 - 1971

This is an Interniche copyright notice (and the license.h file is attached). License.h is basically a Freescale document that says do what you like with this as long as the target is a Freescale CPU or core.
Code:
/* * FILENAME: allports.c * * Copyright 1997- 2006 By InterNiche Technologies Inc. All rights reserved * * Portions Copyright 1986 by Carnegie Mellon * Portions Copyright 1984 by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology * * Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1988 Regents of the University of California. * All rights reserved. * * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted * provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are * duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation and other  * materials related to such distribution and use acknowledge that  * the software was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. * The name of the University may not be used to endorse or promote  * products derived from this software without specific prior written  * permission. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS * OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. * * * Rights, responsibilities and use of this software are controlled by * the agreement found in the "LICENSE.H" file distributed with this * source code.  "LICENSE.H" may not be removed from this distribution, * modified, enhanced nor references to it omitted.

Cheers,

Paul.

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi Paul,

Would you please be able to send me the archive you were talking about on GCC for MCF5282 ? (email is the letter icon in signature below).
Do edit the headers to include your name as I don't want to take anything away. I will create an executable package presenting the license... Now I think about this, the executable is for Windows platforms only :s
I will try and add it to Community Files and give a link on the Forum.

Does that seem reasonable to you ?

For other codes, you can distribute Freescale examples. The user is not exempt to comply to the licensing terms.
I think the problem is not the same if people do not get Freescale code from Freescale source. I mean that if the code is not taken from FSL source, FSL responsibility should not be involved as FSL has no control over the Internet!
I'm not sure to be clear, but I know what I mean and that is already a good thing.

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

pnordby
Contributor I
Alban: Can I distribute "my" previously posted example code, or make it available somewhere else on the internet? Was this (part of) what you meant?
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Petter,

I touched base with the people looking into this and they are still trying to find an arrangement.
However I can confirm that posting it here like this was considered as a violation from Freescale (not you) by Interniche.
What you do on other places in not under FSL responsibility.

As the code was identified straight away and removed, there is no problem.
The current internal discussion is how to address in a General manner.

I still aim to be able/allowed to distribute this file under Freescale license so everyone can benefit from it.

Alban.
0 Kudos

mpazzi
Contributor III

Hello Alban,

is it possible to have source code that implement modbus over TCP/IP ?

Thank you very much.

Marco

0 Kudos

miduo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Please let me know if this post helpful?

https://community.nxp.com/message/807597 

0 Kudos

mccPaul
Contributor I
Hi Alban,

Will do, but be prepared to wait a while as I will need to make a few changes to clean it up. Maybe I'll do this as part of the exercise to create a new tutorial on setting up a GCC toolchain with the new version of Eclipse coming out at the end of the month.

Cheers,

Paul.
0 Kudos

mccPaul
Contributor I
Yet again the poor quality of the forum website has caused me a problem. I still get the invalid html error when I use the insert src button, and my attachment was silently dropped when the error page was displayed.

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Thanks Paul.
Lithium informed us that they fixed the invalid HTML.

First I'll contact Eric... Confidential does not mean Public, so there is something wrong here.

The license.h seems to suggest we don't care about imposing a click-through license as long as the file is in the archive. It clearly states that redistribution and use is permitted in that condition.

Need to check...

Alban.

0 Kudos