cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with debugging with bootelf command on U-boot

Jump to solution
datho
Contributor III

I tried to follow the steps explained in document AN5137 to debug an application using u-boot, but every Bare Board application that I start with elfboot results with an undefined instruction error. The project I load is always the default project without any added code.

Here is the terminal results of the bootelf:

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

=> tftp 82000000 debug-core0.elf

Speed: 1000, full duplex

Using eTSEC1 device

TFTP from server 172.16.208.150; our IP address is 172.16.208.250

Filename 'debug-core0.elf'.

Load address: 0x82000000

Loading: T T ###########

13.7 KiB/s

done

Bytes transferred = 148367 (2438f hex)

=> bootelf

## Starting application at 0x8000027c ...

undefined instruction

pc : [<8000056c>]          lr : [<8000054c>]

sp : 9fffaf9c  ip : 00000004     fp : 9fffafec

r10: 800003ec  r9 : bef24eb4     r8 : 00000001

r7 : 00000000  r6 : bef25db4     r5 : 00000000  r4 : 9fffafd4

r3 : 9fffafd4  r2 : 8000d0dc     r1 : 8000d8f4  r0 : 8000d5a0

Flags: nZCv  IRQs off  FIQs off  Mode SVC_32

Resetting CPU ...

resetting ...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

This is because FPU is not enabled in u-boot from the latest released SDK for ls1021atwr, it is needed to enabled before running the elf file.

After u-boot sets up on the target board, please use Attach launch configuration to connect to the target board, then suspend the target, and open Debugger Shell from Window->Show View->Debugger Shell, then use the following commands to write related registers to enable FPU.

%>reg NSACR=0xc00

%>reg cpacr=0x0fffffff

%>reg fpexc=0x40000000

After resume u-boot running from CodeWarrior IDE, execute "bootelf" command under u-boot prompt.

Probably the application note needs to be modified.

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

12 Replies
datho
Contributor III

I'm running this code on an LS1021A-TWR board if that helps.

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Did you try to debug the application? Did you create the project created with UART I/O support? What version of CW for ARMv7 you used?

Adrian

0 Kudos
datho
Contributor III

I'm using CodeWarrior for QorIQ LS series ARM v7 ISA 10.0.6.

Debugging the project in CodeWarrior (eclipse) is no problem but using bootelf is ineffective. I did create the project with UART I/O support.

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

As Adrian suggested above, please check if you used the UART I/O support or semihosting (in this last case the CW support is needed when you're running the application and the standalone running is not possible). When the application is running fine it prints out to the UART console or to CW console?

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
datho
Contributor III

I did set up the project for UART I/O support, when the project is running in debug mode it prints to the UART console.

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

When you're running the project using CW there is any tcl initialization file set up? Maybe this is the trick..and this init file is making something that should be set up in the code as well.

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
datho
Contributor III

There is a TCL file initiliazation set up when debugging. Is there a way to translate the TCL functionality into C code?

Also, a service request I sent told me that the same error was re-producible on their end. They figured out that the problem was caused by the library UART1_LS102xATWR_VFPv4.a. My current solution to running bootelf without issues is building the project with floating point setting at "none". They said that would get back to me with more information, so I'm still waiting for that.

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Could you share the service request number?

Adrian

0 Kudos
datho
Contributor III

1-4008816561

0 Kudos
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

This is because FPU is not enabled in u-boot from the latest released SDK for ls1021atwr, it is needed to enabled before running the elf file.

After u-boot sets up on the target board, please use Attach launch configuration to connect to the target board, then suspend the target, and open Debugger Shell from Window->Show View->Debugger Shell, then use the following commands to write related registers to enable FPU.

%>reg NSACR=0xc00

%>reg cpacr=0x0fffffff

%>reg fpexc=0x40000000

After resume u-boot running from CodeWarrior IDE, execute "bootelf" command under u-boot prompt.

Probably the application note needs to be modified.

Have a great day,
Yiping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

datho
Contributor III

Thank you for getting back to me, the executable is running properly. I'm guessing the next SDK patch will account for this issue so that users don't have to attach and run debugger shell commands to get the executable running on bootelf.

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ok, good to know, thanks for sharing. Mostly that tcl file is by passing the FP issue setting up some core registers. Please wait for the final resolution.

Regards,

Marius