Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error during programming my P4080 based custom board with CW USB TAP

Jump to solution
eminkoc
Contributor I

Hello,

I have a custom p4080 board. I am facing this error: ccs protocol plugin : failed to reset the target.

I created a bareboard project and didn't change the default source files and built it.

//////////////////////////

// Project Stationery  //

//////////////////////////

#include <stdio.h>

#if SMPTARGET

#include "smp_target.h"

#endif

int main()

{

int i=0;

unsigned long proc_id;

asm ("mfpir %0" : "=r" (proc_id));

#if SMPTARGET

initSmp();

#endif

printf("Core%lu: Welcome to CodeWarrior!\r\n", proc_id>>5);

asm("sc"); // generate a system call exception to demonstrate the ISR

while (1) { i++; } // loop forever

}

When I try to download this code to the p4080 device I get the error above

I checked the jtag connections, they are fine. I scoped the reset signals of the Jtag interface during running the project, the CW USB TAP resets the device with TRST and HRST signals. SRST signal stays at logic 1(deasserted), Here is the HRST(first one) abd TRST(second one) scope screenshots:

5103_5103.PNGJTAG_HRST.PNG5104_5104.PNGJTAG_TRST.PNG

When I give power to the board the ASLEEP signal of P4080 keeps at logic "1". When I hit the RUN I get a different error: Failed to correctly configure the JTAG chain.

If I push and release the PORESET button on the board(pulls down the PORESET signal) the ASLEEP signal turns to logic "0" and when I hit the RUN after ASLEEP signal turned to logic "0" I get this error constantly: Failed to reset the target

Here is the error windows:

5106_5106.PNG1.PNG5107_5107.PNG2.PNG

The following error occured just once and I haven't seen it again.

5108_5108.PNG3.PNG

Could you please help me solve this issue.

Thanks in advance

Emin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Emin,

RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization (return to the factory). Please log a service request using www.freescale.com (Support -> Technical Service Request) and let me know the SR number for making it as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Marius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As technical support suggest, you also has to check by means of a digital scope that the RCW is correctly supplied by an external EEPROM device selected as the RCW source. Again it's also useful to use a Jtag config file to override RCW as Marius suggested above.

0 Kudos
eminkoc
Contributor I

Hi,Thank you for your help and sorry for the late response, I have been out of office for a few weeks.

Another problem occured before I tried your suggestions above. The TX/RX led on the USB TAP shows solid red when I plug in the device with usb cable and I get the following errors when I try to use download attach or connect options:

When I use download option:

Error launching p4080yeni-core0_RAM_P4080_Download

CCSProtocolPlugin : Could not connect to the probe (or other debug link)

[CCS last error: CC config string is invalid ]

Connect or Attach option:

Error creating session: The selected launch type is not runnable.

Thank you

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Please re-install your ccs drivers running PA\ccs\drivers\usb\setup.bat (just double click it).

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
eminkoc
Contributor I

Hi,

I already tried re-installing drivers, tried again today and got the same results: Tx/Rx Led is solid red. Do you know some commands to reset or ping the device using CCS command window.

I re-installed the drivers and executed the detect.bat file (....drivers\usb\jungo\detect.bat). It says: Jungo usb driver not found for CodeWarrior USB TAP or USB HTI , it showed the same before and after re-installing the drivers. I installed a program called driver detective and it sees the cw usb tap drivers and they seems fine.

Thank you,

Emin Koç

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Emin,

Discussing the issue internally, we have some conclusions and questions as well:

1. Can you verify whether this is a USB TAP or a CodeWarrior TAP?  The USB TAP only has a USB port on it, while the CodeWarrior TAP has both a USB port and an Ethernet port.

2. In either case a solid (not flashing) LED on TX/RX is a bad sign, and probably has nothing to do with drivers.  That light should flash at 1Hz as a heartbeat to show that the firmware is up and running.  If it is stuck solid red, something has gone wrong and the firmware has locked/crashed.  If you're seeing a solid LED from the moment you plug it in, then it’s likely a hardware problem.

3. One possibility is that it’s getting insufficient power.  Are you plugging it directly into the PC, or into a hub?  If you still see this problem after plugging it directly into a PC, then I would assume this is a hardware failure and process an RMA.

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
eminkoc
Contributor I

Hi Marius,

1. It's a CodeWarrior TAP.

2. I am seeing a solid LED from the moment I pug it in.

3. It's solid red whether I plug it directly into the PC or into the hub.  What is RMA? How can it be a hardware problem? This happened after we used it just a several time.

Thank you for your attention

Emin Koç

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Emin,

RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization (return to the factory). Please log a service request using www.freescale.com (Support -> Technical Service Request) and let me know the SR number for making it as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
eminkoc
Contributor I

Hi Marius,

I  filled a return ticket. Here is the warranty SR number : 1-1146814661

Thank  you

Emin Koç

0 Kudos
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, please check that supplied RCW is correct. It is possible to use PBL Tool of the CodeWarrior QorIQ Configuration Suite for this purpose.

QORIQCSGETSTARTEDUG : Getting Started Guide:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/user_guide/QORIQCSGETSTARTEDUG.pdf

QORIQCSPBLUG : PBL Tool User Guide:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/user_guide/QORIQCSPBLUG.pdf

0 Kudos
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Emil,

Please make a try using the Connect target and use the sram initialization file (PA\PA_Support\Initialization_Files\QorIQ_P4\P4080DS_init_sram.tcl) instead of core tcl file. Also use the jtag file (this will enable a RCW override mechanism - very useful if your board doesn't contain a proper RCW according with board settings). The jtag file can be find here PA\PA_Support\Initialization_Files\jtag_chains\P4080DS_RCW_1500-800-1300.txt.

You can make the both settings from Debug Configurations - please take a look to attached picture (steps 1 & 2 - used for   setup the jtag file and the 3rd step for replace the core tcl file with the sram tcl file).

P4080DS_debuggerSettings.png

Regards and please let me know the results,

Marius

0 Kudos