Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

codeworrier debugging without BDM h/w tap

Jump to solution
andrewheywood23
Contributor I

Hi there,

I have recently purchased 2 development boards. The M5223DEMO coldfire v2 board & I use codeworrier v 7.2 for coldfire MCUs &

MPC885ADS PowerPc (PowerQUICC) board where I use codeworrier v8.8 for power PCs.

I was hoping to use the debugger via either the sandard RS232 port or the USB port or even ethernet to perform the debugger functions of comms between the codeworrier IDE & the target development board - but as a direct connection without the use of a hardware BDM tap module.

Is this possible? within my list of debugger connections I only seems to have PE micro, Abatron entries and they all seem to require h/w tap devices. I understand that without one some debug features won't be possible - but I was hoping that a console I/O type method of debugging would be possible via a simpe RS232 link betweeon codewarrior host and target board & no h/w tap in between.

Any pointers would be most appreciated akso appologies if this question has been posted before & I've missed it during my searches.

thanks in advance

Andrew

Labels (1)
1 Solution
andrewheywood23
Contributor I

OK, I see that if the target board has an integrted or background debugger (which my M52233DEMO does) then the OSBDM s/w (JM60) can be used to perform what I require. Ie debugging on the target h/w (controlled under CodeWarrior IDE) without having to purchase a h/w tap.

I should have done my reading first before posting - hopefully at least someone may read this and be pointed in the right direction! I also just spotted the OSBDM section of this Community Forum - so viewing that & reading the manuals is up next ....

View solution in original post

2 Replies
andrewheywood23
Contributor I

OK, I see that if the target board has an integrted or background debugger (which my M52233DEMO does) then the OSBDM s/w (JM60) can be used to perform what I require. Ie debugging on the target h/w (controlled under CodeWarrior IDE) without having to purchase a h/w tap.

I should have done my reading first before posting - hopefully at least someone may read this and be pointed in the right direction! I also just spotted the OSBDM section of this Community Forum - so viewing that & reading the manuals is up next ....

Monica
Senior Contributor III

Excellent observation Andrew, thanks for sharing!

Monica

0 Kudos