cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What future for code warrior

PO220
Contributor IV

Hello

There are always two versions of code Warrioir : 6.3 (classic) and 10.1 (Eclipse)

CW6.3 is perfect but is not working with 64bit computer

CW10.1 is heavy and is not compatible with the application notes

Both are also very different,learning to move from one to another is hard

Why always two versions ?

What are the plans for CW ?

Stop of classqie versions (6.3...) ?

Stop of Eclipses versions (10.1...) ?

what else...?

Thank you in advance

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You have the freedom of choice :smileyhappy:.

the future is clearly Eclipse. Since beginning of this year the 10.2 is out, and 10.3 beta is coming out in the next weeks.

Yes, Eclipse is different compared to the 'classic' CodeWarrior.

And with everthing new, there is a learning curve.

You might have a look at the upcoming 10.3 release, as many things have been simplified.

If you are happy with classic 6.3: then use it. But all the new devices, support for new Windows 8, and other things is part of the Eclipse 10.x.

Hope this helps,

BK

PS: you might have a look at this blog: http://mcuoneclipse.wordpress.com/

While focused on Eclipse, it deals as well with some aspects of moving from classic to eclipse based CodeWarrior.

0 Kudos

djsimpson
Contributor III

What are the plans for the HCS12X on Eclipse? Currently we use both HCS12X devices and HCS08 devices, so we stick with Classic IDE, rather than switch between the two.

David

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Plans are to move this to Eclipse too, I believe next year.

It is relatively easy to use MCU10.x with S12X too, by using the external debugger as in classic (so the debugger look and feel would be as in classic). But you would be able to use Eclipse as IDE with the build tools (compiler/linker/assembler/...).

If there is an interest in this intermediate solution, I could prepare a tutorial how to do this.

Hope this helps,

BK

0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV

Clearly, getting a much fluffier IDE should be the top priority, and not nonsense things like C standard support. C standard compliant register maps, MISRA-C compatible libraries or pre-made hardware peripheral drivers. I mean, it is not like Freescale hope to sell their MCUs to the automotive industry or anything!

- The S12 compiler is still, as far as I know, following a 22 years old version of the C standard, that has been changed twice since then.

- The CPU register maps are not following any C standard at all.

- There isn't the slightest hint of MISRA-C compliance anywhere, not even for the supposedly pre-qual SIL3 MPC56.

- There are utterly few drivers available for any Freescale peripheral. There are barely any application notes aiding in how to write such drivers, if there are, they are most often not up to date. Every single Freescale user has to re-invent the wheel for every single project.

But who cares if the programs written in Codewarrior are unsafe, unportable and outdated, as long as they are written in a gigabyte-slaughtering IDE? Gotta keep the priorities in order!

0 Kudos

radardoug
Contributor I

Jeez Lundin, why don't you tell us what you really think?

I am new to Codewarrior, and using it has totally changed the way I am working, but not necessarily in a good way.

However there are many advantages to Codewarrior.

First, its free. A big thanks to Freescale!

Second, it works, maybe slowly, but it works (Better than Microsoft hee hee!)

Third, I am using it with a third party BDM module, and thanks to the work done by all, it works seamlessly.

Previously I wrote a lot of code for the HC11, and did it on an assmbler that I wrote myself, full IDE which talked to the Motorola EVM. This was an inline assembler not using labels, but I like that way of working.

Hey Lundin, if you don't like Codewarrior, why not write your own? It can be done. Then what would you do, sell it or give it away? First you need to write it.

And again, big ups to Freescale, I wouldn't be writing code today without their help.

0 Kudos

wrljet
Contributor II

I'm not afraid to tell you what I really think.

I, along with some other posters, find the bloat and complexity of Eclipse to be simply unacceptable.

Companies give away toolchains in order to convince you to buy their parts.

But it's not altogether -that- free.  Free editions of CodeWarrior have a code size limit which severely limits what I can accomplish without really playing games.

For most people I imagine it takes a while to hit that limit, by which point you already have a serious investment in learning the chips, the tools, maybe developing a PCB, etc.  Then you're hooked into Freescale chips and CodeWarrior unless you want to throw that all away or pony up with cash for tools that should be free.

Unfortunately, other vendors' tools are now on this bloated Eclipse (or NetBeans) IDE bandwagon, too.

Bill

0 Kudos

PO220
Contributor IV

Thank you

but why always two versions available ?? both versions coexist for a long time now and this greatly complicates the download page for the beginner who is looking for a tool...

I wonder today after buying a 64 bitcomputer. IfI understand it, I will not waste my time learning to use CW 10.

thank you

0 Kudos