Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision control software for Codewarrior

Jump to solution
hucklim
Contributor III

Hello,

I have a general question. We are trying to determine which revision control software to be used for our Codewarrior code for developing firmware for  MC9X12XE family of micontroller.

What are the experience of the other developers who use the Codewarrior IDE? Are there any prefarable revision control software for use with Codewarrior code?

We have experiment using Git as our revision control tool but it proved to be inconvenient at best. There are files (e.g. Project.G_C) whose directory information is constantly being updated at every compilation on different user/desktop and is interpreted by Git as new files to be revision controlled.

If push comes to shove, we will use Git as our revision control tool, but I was wondering if other users have better experience using other revision control software. Are there tips on going about revision control the Codewarrior files.

Maybe one should only submit .c and .h files for revision control. Any suggestions?

Yours sincerely,

Huck

Labels (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Huck,

a better way to say this is "do not place derived files into a VCS". Derived files are generated files, like object files, listing files, the produced ELF binary file, etc.

If you are using a system which generates the make files from the project file, then place the project file into the VCS, but not the make files.

Or another view is: only place the absolutely needed (source, project, configuration, etc) files into the VCS which are needed. Not more and not less.

This requires an understanding of what each file does or for what it is used for. That's why I wrote the above articles :-)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm using Git with CodeWarrior (Eclipse based, I know that this does not exist for S12X).

You only should place files into a version control system (VCS) which are needed like source files.

The *.g_c or *.g_x are generated, and do not belong to a version control system.

Altough the following articles are for Eclipse, the explain the files needed to be put under version control.

The differnence for you is that the project information is in the .mcp file (which you have to put under version control):

Version Control with Processor Expert Projects | MCU on Eclipse

Dissection of MCU10 Projects | MCU on Eclipse

hucklim
Contributor III

Hello Erich,

I find those articles very useful in terms of understanding various files involved in Codewarrior.

You mentioned that 'you only place files into the version control system which are needed like source files'. Do you mean you only store .c and .h files?

Thanks for the information.

Yours sincerely,

Huck

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Huck,

a better way to say this is "do not place derived files into a VCS". Derived files are generated files, like object files, listing files, the produced ELF binary file, etc.

If you are using a system which generates the make files from the project file, then place the project file into the VCS, but not the make files.

Or another view is: only place the absolutely needed (source, project, configuration, etc) files into the VCS which are needed. Not more and not less.

This requires an understanding of what each file does or for what it is used for. That's why I wrote the above articles :-)

0 Kudos
hucklim
Contributor III

Hello Erich,

It's true, I will have to make sure that only files that are non-derived into the VCS. Are you happy in general with

using Git as VCS tool?

Yours sincerely,

Huck

0 Kudos
hucklim
Contributor III

Hello Erich,

I have another question. It's related to 'Processor Expert' generated code from Codewarrior. In your Eclipse based Codewarrior, do you use the 'Processor Expert' feature? As far as I know (I have not tried it myself), 'Processor Expert' poses another new challenge for VCS to distinguish the code.

Yours sincerely,

Huck

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Huck,

yes, I do use Processor Expert. Challenges are listed in Version Control with Processor Expert Projects | MCU on Eclipse.

Basically the problem is with the .pe file (huge XML file): I recommend to treat it like a binary file.

With some precaution, that works, but it somewhat painful.

Erich

hucklim
Contributor III

Hello Erich,

I guess I will have to go back to the drawing board to use Git for Codewarrior. Thanks for all the information.

Yours sincerely,

Huck

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Huck,

yes, I'm very happy with Git. I'm using GitHub and SourceTree as host application.

I'm using eGit inside CodeWarrior (Installing eGit in Eclipse and CodeWarrior for MCU10.4).

I have moved now all my projects from CVS/SVN to Git now, and I don't want to go back :-).

Erich

0 Kudos