cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming HCS12 with PE Micro Cable

Jump to solution
deneb
Contributor II
I have a professional license of CodeWarrior for HCS12 and always program my device with PE-Micro Cable from  within the CW IDE. Now, the product has to be shipped to the customer with a possible option of making firmware updates with PE-Micro cable only. Is there a utility that the customer can use to download the binary files to the target flash? or must we buy a Basic CW license for the customer for only download purpose?

Thank you for your answer.

deneb
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
deneb
Contributor II
Thank you everybody. For the time being, when we don't have a cyclone thing, for a given "Proj1" project, I found the following to be doing what I needed:

"C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior for HCS12 V4.7\Prog\hiwave.exe" C:\Projects\Proj1\bin\Proj1.abs.s19 -W -Prod=C:\Projects\Proj1\P&E_ICD.ini -instance=icd12

One just needs to use the Free version of the Code Warrior, supply the P&E_ICD.ini and *.s19 files.

Best regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
deneb
Contributor II
Thank you everybody. For the time being, when we don't have a cyclone thing, for a given "Proj1" project, I found the following to be doing what I needed:

"C:\Freescale\CodeWarrior for HCS12 V4.7\Prog\hiwave.exe" C:\Projects\Proj1\bin\Proj1.abs.s19 -W -Prod=C:\Projects\Proj1\P&E_ICD.ini -instance=icd12

One just needs to use the Free version of the Code Warrior, supply the P&E_ICD.ini and *.s19 files.

Best regards
0 Kudos
Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
Personally I would be terrified at the thought of the customer using a debugger. There is a big potential for mess-up. Also, with all the copy-cats out there, don't you want to use the secure mechanism of the HCS12? This won't be possible through the debugger.
0 Kudos
Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
You probably don't want your customers to fiddle with the debugger or even PE PROG12Z. You also don't want to use the debugger for production programming, since it is terribly slow when it comes to downloads.

The best way do solve this is to buy a PE Cyclone for your customer, then send them the .SAP file containing the program. The files can be easily downloaded into the Cyclone and once they are downloaded, you don't need a PC attached to do the programming.
0 Kudos
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi deneb,

since you intend to update firmware using PE-Micro cable I can imagine these options:

- use free CodeWarrior for HCS12x Special Edition. The hiwave debugger ("<CodeWarrior home directory>\Prog\hiwave.exe") allows loading binary files into the MCUs.

- use Pemicro FLASH/EEPROM programmers (e.g P&E PROG12Z)

Anyway, these options may not be comfortable enough for your customers since the user interface might be complex.

Stanish

Message Edited by stanish on 2009-01-14 09:59 AM

Message Edited by stanish on 2009-01-14 10:02 AM
0 Kudos