Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help - USBDM - Target connection failure

Jump to solution
jonathan_abbati
Contributor III

Hello Friends!

I have received the following error message from Code warrior after I installed a set of sample code which lead me to believe that I had accidentally secured my uC. However, it seems that the code does not entail any lines that would cause this to happen. The error message I am receiving is detailed below:

"USBDM - Target connection failure

USBDM can't enable BDM made on the target. This may indicate that the device is secured. "

Does anyone have any ideas?? Thank you so much for you time, I greatly appreciate it!!!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Jon,

You haven't indicated the actual chip you are using but in any case you should be able to unsecure the device by using the stand-alone programmers supplied with USBDM - probably HCS12_FlashProgrammer.exe.  Just load any S19 file you have from a suitable project and select the unsecure radio button.

However, be aware that you may get this error message for some cases other than the device is secured but this is the most likely reason.

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Jon,

You haven't indicated the actual chip you are using but in any case you should be able to unsecure the device by using the stand-alone programmers supplied with USBDM - probably HCS12_FlashProgrammer.exe.  Just load any S19 file you have from a suitable project and select the unsecure radio button.

However, be aware that you may get this error message for some cases other than the device is secured but this is the most likely reason.

bye

0 Kudos
jonathan_abbati
Contributor III

O my goodness I just noticed that I did not indicate any information as to the chip or my interfacing. Thank you so much for replying and letting me know that! The chip I am using is a MC9S12DG128 on the Adapt9S12D board. I am using the USBDMLT to connect and my IDE is Code Warrior. I have tried the unsecure button within CodeWarrior, but it has not been successful. I have also tried another USBDMLT to see if that was the case, but still nothing. Additionally, I tried the unsecure_12 program supplied by P&E and still nothing. Do you have any other ideas pgo and once again thank you so much for taking the time to help me!!

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Jon,

USBMLT is a custom version of USBDM - JS16 design for HCS08/HCS12/Coldfire V1. from Technological arts I believe?

This is different from the P&E device and so, of course, none of their software will be of any use.

Please do as asked and use the stand-alone programmers that are provided with USBDM - If that is actually what you are using.

See this link - http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/

You can also refer to the link on the TA page http://www.technologicalarts.ca/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_55&products_id=572&osCsid=72322527...

However, be aware that this is for the latest version of the software and the firmware may differ to that in your device ie. you may need to use an earlier version of the programmers or update the firmware to the current version.  Older versions are still available on sourceforge.

bye

0 Kudos
jonathan_abbati
Contributor III

You are absolutely correct my friend and I thank you so very much for sending me those sites for they have detailed that the "unsecure" command for the chip I am working with is not available unfortunately. Would you by chance know if there is a way to read the program which is existent on my board at this present moment in time so that I may confirm if it is actually secured or not, for you see the error message that rises when I attempt to communicate with it is:

USBDM - Target connection failure.

USBDM can't enable BDM mode on the target. This may indicate the device is secured.

Once again, thank you so much for your help my friend.

0 Kudos