Just installed CW10.4...USB Multilink wont connect

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just installed CW10.4...USB Multilink wont connect

stevec
Contributor III

I have just installed CW 10.4 for HS08 onto my Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Dell laptop. This is equiped with USB3 ports (no USB2). The USB Multilink interface will not connect when a debug task is launched (like erasing the chip). CW did say it was updating the software in the Multilink and it appears to have done that but it will not connect up. Is there an issue with USB3 ports? I get an error message saying the Debugger can not connect to the PE device"Error launching mc9s08qe16_demo - MC9S08QE16 - PnE USB BDM, HC/RS/S12Z GDI Protocol Adapter : Can't connect. The Debugger can not connect to the P&E device"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Labels (1)
6 Replies

Tommy44
Contributor III

I suddenly get essentially the same error message about can't connect, but mine is to an "open SDA" on a Kinetis chip.  10.3 & 10.4 both fail.  Funny thing is if I shutdown CodeWarrior, just plug in the KL25 board it enumerates as a flash drive just like it's supposed to, and I can drop in any .srec file I want and it works.  Nobody's telling me I have hardware issues here.  System is Winders 7 home premium, Core i5-2320 with 8 gig ram.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If OpenSDA enumerates as flash drive, then it is in MSD bootloader mode. With this, you cannot connect to it using a debugger.

You need to load the OpenSDA Debug App first in order to debug it: OpenSDA on the Freedom KL25Z Board | MCU on Eclipse

I hope this helps.

Tommy44
Contributor III

Got it, thanks.  Haven't done much with that board in a while and I guess I forget.  Perils of getting old.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1. first you need check your computer device manager if the PnE driver is good. remove it then reconnect the board to reinstall it. 2. install the latest P&E Hardware Interface Drivers Version 11 here: http://www.pemicro.com/blog/post.cfm/windows-8-opensda-support-added-to-latest-p-e-drivers 3. if still can't work, test your board on another 32bit xp computer to confim if the board is in good condition. check the board jumper setting and check if the leds on when connecting the board

0 Kudos

Vagni
Contributor IV

I have the same problem, but I cannot fix it.

Till now I used CW 10.2 with my USB Multilink without any problem on my Windows 7 PC.

To check the hardware connection between my custom Kinetis K60 board and my USB Multilink I try to erase the whole device with the Flash File to Target command procedure.

With CW 10.2 the check is always succesfull.

Now I installed CW 10.4 and try the hardware connection with the same custom board and USB Multilink.

The first time I run my erase check I saw CW 10.4 performing a firmware update on my USB Multilink, but then I get an error while connecting to the target ("The Debugger can not connect to the P&E device"). In every subsequent my attempt I get the same error.

I close CW 10.4, restart CW 10.2 and try the same check on the same board: succesfull!

I checked the PnE driver is good (yes, with CW 10.2 is working).

I think something is wrong in CW 10.4 with USB Multilink. Is there any CW patch about it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

stevec
Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. I have two drivers under "Jungo". USB Multilink 2.0 and Windriver. It looks like the Windriver one was installed at the same time as CW10.4 so I  assume this is the one. Both are reported as being up to date. The USB Multilink one I believe is from an upgrade I downloaded from P&E for the CW6.x. Hmmm just had a play. Seems the USB Multilink one is the one called up when I plug in the Multilink. I have disabled the Windriver but still no joy. Should I only have one installed . If so which one?

I also have CW6.x installed in a VM under VMware Player. I can not get my Multilink to work with this either thus my installing CW10.4 to have a system running in native mode, but seems I'm not going to be be lucky there eother. I would rather not have the overhead of learning another development environment. The other option is to downgrade to Windows 7 but if it is a problem with the USB3 ports then I am no better off. Thus my question about USB3.

I know the Multilink cable works, and it's LEDs work ok. I get a blue one on when I connect it up.

Steve

0 Kudos