cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&E Coldfire multilink and CW 10.5

gaetanoanania
Contributor III

Hi all,

I am using the coldfire MCF54415 , CW 10.5 and the debugger P&E Coldfire multilink (its version is really old) .

So far ,I haven't been able to programm my coldfire . An error occurs during the flashing of the firmware. The debugger is able to erase the memory but when it tries to write early the process is stopped .

The error is " Loss communication ......"

Do you have any advices that could help me? And in addition what are the different between P&E Coldfire multilink and P&E Multilink?

When I made a new coldfire project I didn't find the P&E Coldfire multilink but just P&E Multilink. Is it the same?

Thanks in advance.

G.

Labels (1)
6 Replies

takaoyamada
Contributor IV

Greetings,

In Codewarrior we mention just P&E USB Multilink, but that indicates all multilinks that can support ColdFire. This means you can use the USB ColdFire Multilink, the USB Multilink Universal, and the USB Multilink Universal FX. They should all be able to talk to your chip. For you, that means no need to purchase any new hardware.

The most popular reason for communication loss is that you did not lower the debug shift frequency within the debug configurations. Try lowering this frequency to establish a better connection to your chip. In my experience, lowering the shift down to option 15 is the sweet spot for ColdFire chips.

Takao Yamada

P&E Microcomputer Systems

0 Kudos

gaetanoanania
Contributor III

Hi Takao,

I took your advice but I am carrying on to have the problem. There is a  strange behaviour:

if I try to install the firmware more then one time I will have the same error  I see the follow log:

"

Downloading Flash Device Driver ...  

Reading flash ID ...

Auto-detection is successful.  

File is of type Elf Format.  

Downloading 0x00000400 bytes to be programmed at 0x00000000  

Executing program ....  

Program Command Succeeded   

Downloading 0x00000D08 bytes to be programmed at 0x00000700  

Executing program ....  

Program Command Succeeded   

Downloading 0x00150000 bytes to be programmed at 0x00080000  

ColdFire GDI Protocol Adapter : An error occurred while trying to write registers. Loss of communications with P&E hardware.

Error:  Program failed.  Couldn't initialize registers

Error: Initialization Failed.

"

In additon a pop-up form Problem Occured tells me:

"

Error executing task FLASH_BL.

Error:  Program failed.  Couldn't initialize registers<s>thread exit: Stopped, 0x0, 0x0, cpu68K, Unknown (state, tid, pid, cpu, target)</s>

Error: Initialization Failed.

"

Thank you a lot ...in advance.

Gaetano.

0 Kudos

takaoyamada
Contributor IV

Greetings,

I want you to create a new project in Codewarrior for your chip and see if you are able to debug the basic default project. If you are, then there is something in your project's settings or possibly something in your code causing problems. If you are not able to debug the default project, then there is something wrong with hardware or your project setup.

Have you gotten your setup to work in the past or is this your first attempt?

Takao Yamada

P&E Microcomputer Systems

0 Kudos

gaetanoanania
Contributor III

Hi,

I solved the issue plugging a decoupler between the usb port of PC and the USB Coldfire  Multilink. The "Loss communication" was due to the noise on the communication channel.

Thank you.

See you next problem.

Gaetano

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gaetano,

Do you refer to this interface ?

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=163

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gaetanoanania
Contributor III

Hi Pascal,

yes I am using that debugger.

Thank you

Gaetano

0 Kudos