K60 I2C-EEPROM write and read

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K60 I2C-EEPROM write and read

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

I have MK60DN512VLL10 that has its I2C1 connected to EEPROM (ST Microelectronics - datasheet pdf) M24256-BWDW6

I removed the pull up on WC signal above.

following the above write sequence in my application I have:

Then based on the read sequence:

My read looks like:

But this returns me 0xff (printf result is 0xff 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0), that means either I did not write or I cannot read?

As you can see from the above code snippets, my I2C1 is interrupt based:

Can someone tell me what is wrong? And why I cannot write/read EEPROM?

Thanks

Mehdi

Labels (1)
Tags (5)
11 Replies

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Medhi,

The problem has been handle through Service Request process.

The SR is 1-1342499221

Have a great day,
Pascal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

Just to add that as I stated in my last post above, I could write and read but I cannot write and read in sequence. Is there such a rule for I2C EEPROMs to write and read separately?

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mehdi,

I received feedback for Proceesor Exper team which could explain the EEPROM behavior.

See below:

pastedImage_0.jpg

It is a feature of the EEPROM device.

Write cycle takes up to 5ms.

It is not responsibility of I2C bus protocol in general.

Have a great day,
Pascal

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mehdi,

Thanks for the feedback and survey.

I shared this information with Processor Expert team and development.

Have a great day,
Pascal

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

Hi @Jorge_Gonzalez

Can you please give me an example based on the EEPROM read/write format above.

based on Figure8 and Figure9 that I showed above, would the following work:

uint8 buffer[4];

buffer[0] = 0x57 //address of the slave

buffer[1] = 0x00 // first byte address

buffer[2] = 0x00 //second byte address

buffer[3] = 0x55 // one byte data

I2C1_SelectSlaveDevice(I2C1ptr, LDD_I2C_ADDRTYPE_7BITS, passin[0]);

Sent = 0;

I2C1_MasterSendBlock(I2C1ptr, passin , sizeof(passin), LDD_I2C_SEND_STOP); //LDD_I2C_SEND_STOP LDD_I2C_NO_SEND_STOP

while (Sent == 0){}

I tried this and it did not work. Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Medhi:

Each call to MasterSendBlock() generates a new start signal together with the address, as you see in your scope.

To avoid this try placing together all your data. If you look at Figure 8 above, you may use a unique buffer with [Byte addr + Byte addr + Data in] in the same buffer.

As reference here you have some code:

uint8  pass_buff[3];

uint8  passin;

pass_buff[0] = 0x00;

pass_buff[1] = 0x00;

pass_buff[2] = 0x55;

passin = 0x57;

I2C_SelectSlaveDevice(I2C1ptr, LDD_I2C_ADDRTYPE_7BITS, passin);

Sent = 0;

I2C1_MasterSendBlock(I2C1ptr, &pass_buff , sizeof(pass_buff), LDD_I2C_SEND_STOP);

while (Sent == 0){}

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The whole transmission frame is complete according to your scope. Then we need to track down the problem with the debugger.

You can start by setting a breakpoint inside of the OnMasterBlockSent(), just to confirm that it never reaches that line.

Next step is to analyze the code in the interrupt routine PE_ISR(I2C1_Interrupt). I know it is a lot of code, but the problem resides in there.

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

n/a

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think that should be working.

So, in your last code there are 3 while loops, if I understood correctly you can already passed the first one and now you are stuck in the second while loop?

I do not know what is the cause, but again it would be helpful to check it with the scope.

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

Hi Jorge,

So I checked it with scope. Here is what's happening, I cannot do write and read in sequence but I can do them separately. I don't know why? Do you have any idea why?

I wrote to address 0x0000 first time. I wrote the value 0x55. So my 0x55 stored at address zero of my eeprom. I removed write and do the read of that byte. When I do that I can read 0x55 back, which means it wrote to that address and stores it there coreclty.

But do you have any idea why I cannot do this in sequence and it get stuck in the while loop for read?

Here is my latest code:

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Your code seems OK to me.

Check the bus with your scope to verify the activity.

0 Kudos