How to Run/Debug ProcessorExpert example?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Run/Debug ProcessorExpert example?

Jump to solution
markusbraitner
Contributor IV

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate ProcessorExpert, but debugging my code always stops at PE_DEBUGHALT(); in cpu.c when clicking "run" and nothing seems to be executed. This is the case also with the example (see below) that came with CodeWarrior - execution stops at PE_DEBUGHAL(); and no LEDs are activated/nothing is sent over the serial interface.

One line above in the code it says

/* This code can be changed using the CPU component property "Build Options / Unhandled int code" */

I tried this by commenting the corresponding code, but execution stopped at the "}" in the following line then...

I'm using

- TWR-K60D100M tower system with TWR-SER

- CodeWarrior for MCU, Version 10.5, Build Id 130916

- ProcessorExpert example from \CW MCU v10.5\MCU\CodeWarrior_Examples\Processor_Expert\Kinetis\TWR-K60N512\TSI

Has anybody got an idea? Maybe again a problem with the example being incompatible with the CW version?

Greetings from Vienna,

Markus

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Markus:

The reason is simple: in most cases the code developed for TWR-K60N512 will not be compatible with TWR-K60D100.

These 2 boards have different K60 silicon revisions (refer to application note AN4445). So for example, in the TSI project, you will find inside of the "PE_low_level_init()" function, a line of code writing to SIM_SOPT6. This register no longer exists in revision 2.x of K60 100 MHz silicon, and therefore execution enters a hard fault exception. Try debugging step-by-step and you will confirm this.

The sample code available for TWR-K60D100 is in the package called "KINETIS512_V2_SC" under Snippets, Boot Code, Headers, Monitors, etc.., in the next link:

K60_100: Kinetis K60 Ethernet Crypto 100 MHz MCUs

In the package there is a TSI example code, although it was not made with processor expert.

Regards!
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Markus:

The reason is simple: in most cases the code developed for TWR-K60N512 will not be compatible with TWR-K60D100.

These 2 boards have different K60 silicon revisions (refer to application note AN4445). So for example, in the TSI project, you will find inside of the "PE_low_level_init()" function, a line of code writing to SIM_SOPT6. This register no longer exists in revision 2.x of K60 100 MHz silicon, and therefore execution enters a hard fault exception. Try debugging step-by-step and you will confirm this.

The sample code available for TWR-K60D100 is in the package called "KINETIS512_V2_SC" under Snippets, Boot Code, Headers, Monitors, etc.., in the next link:

K60_100: Kinetis K60 Ethernet Crypto 100 MHz MCUs

In the package there is a TSI example code, although it was not made with processor expert.

Regards!
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
markusbraitner
Contributor IV

Hi Jorge,

thank you for your answer - this explains something, of course... Thanks for the helpful reference to AN4445!

I had already found out that the program gets stuck in an ISR due to an hardware fault interrupt caused in PE_low_level_init(), but I had not yet found the line causing the problem. Now it is clear to me why it couldn't work - thank you!

So is there another processor expert example available for my board?

Greetings from Vienna,

Markus

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Markus:

I am glad my explanation helped. I think there are no processor expert examples ready for your board, but maybe you can take those existing for the TWR-K60N512 and do the next:

- Create new project with PE support.

- Copy the components to your new project.

- Copy the application source files.

Give a check to the next tutorial by Erich:

Copy of Processor Expert Components | MCU on Eclipse

Hope this helps!

Regards!
Jorge Gonzalez

markusbraitner
Contributor IV

Hi Jorge,

thanks for the hints and the link to Erich's tutorial! With some other tutorial from Erich, I have managed to create a new project with PE from the scratch. Thanks again for your help!

Greetings,

Markus

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I suggest that you use 'own handler for every' in the build settings (see/search for this in http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/02/20/oh-my-an-interrupt/).

That way you know which interrupt is firing.

Erich

markusbraitner
Contributor IV

Hi Erich,

thank you for your extremely fast answer! I'll immediately try your suggestion!

Kind regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
markusbraitner
Contributor IV

Hi Erich,

just wanted to say thank you for your excellent tutorials on your blog - they helped me a great deal to get started with PE! Thank you very much!

Greetings from Austria,

Markus

0 Kudos