EWL libraries - ARM_EABI_Support vs ARM_GCC_Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EWL libraries - ARM_EABI_Support vs ARM_GCC_Support

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I'm tracking down a problem I'm having with the Embedded Warrior Library, and I see that CodeWarrior 10.7 seems to have two copies - one in ARM_EABI_Support and one in ARM_GCC_Support.  I can't find any documentation explaining the difference.  From experimentation, it looks like projects configured for the Freescale compiler use ARM_EABI_Support and projects configured for GCC use ARM_GCC_Support.

The naming is a little confusing, since as far as I can tell GCC is also using EABI, but whatever.  Is this the reason for the two separate copies, or is there more to it than that?

The two are different versions - at a glance, the GCC version looks to be older - but I can't find any revision notes, and nothing in the reference manual (CWEWLCREF, rev 10.x) seems to make any reference to a version number.  I'm trying to figure out a problem with the heap setup for malloc() and the two versions behave differently.  Can anyone tell me which of those the reference manual applies to?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
2 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Scott,

In the new version CW10 for MCU, it includes two ARM compilers--ARM GCC and FSL ARM.

FSL ARM toolchain is maintained by our company.

The ARM GCC GNU toolchain is the one which is provided and maintained by ARM Inc.

In the very earlier CW10 version, CW10.2 and previous, CW only integrates FSL ARM compiler.  in the Launchpad.

ARM GCC was added to CW10 since CW10.3. there is porting guide of "Porting FSL ARM to ARM GCC". see attached.

here is article written by Erich about how to switch ARM GCC toolchain to new version

Switching ARM GNU gcc Toolchain in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I'm aware of the two different compilers.  My question is about the EWL library and its (lack of) documentation.

1. What version of the EWL library does CWEWLCREF refer to?

2. Where can I find a change log or release notes for EWL?

The EABI version does have a brief release note file that identifies it as version 15.1.  The GCC version has no such release note.

The specific problem I'm working on is that the EMBEDDED_WARRIOR_MALLOC behaves differently between the two versions.  In the GCC version, it does *not* reference HEAP_START as described in the reference manual.  Instead, it uses the linker symbol _end to place the heap.  I can find no references at all to this behavior in the documentation.

Where is that change documented, and where can I find the current documentation for the GCC version of the EWL?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos