cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom elf debug in CodeWarrior.

Jump to solution
dmitrymarchenko
Contributor I

Hello! Can someone help me understand how i can debug custom *.elf file from CodeWarrior?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please take a look on this doc. It is not for PA, but it is applicable.

Adrian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The answer is depends :smileyhappy: - is not only an answer here and I'll try to explain you why:

1. You can have a simple bare-metal application downloading in RAM that is also compiled for RAM addresses - this can be easily imported and use the download target set up the default RAM initialization file..and that's it.

2. You can have a more complex bare-metal application (like the u-boot) which is compiled to be written in a flash (contains NOR addresses for example) and then it relocates itself to RAM. In this case is not so simple to debug it, need to attach to it and to make sure using simple debug run-control operations (like step instruction) to not break the target.

Which is your flow? And what CW are you using? (PA, ARMv8, ARMv7..) ?

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos
dmitrymarchenko
Contributor I

Hi, Marius!

I'am using CW PA and MPC8572DS board. I have an elf application wich starts from uboot. I have sources if this app, and i need to debug this app from sources using breakpoints etc. Where i can find tutorial wich contains "step by step" instructions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please take a look on this doc. It is not for PA, but it is applicable.

Adrian

0 Kudos