CW 10.6 unresponsive debugger (runaway variable list)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW 10.6 unresponsive debugger (runaway variable list)

Richly
Contributor III

CW10.6 debugger has become unresponsive. Its list of variables keeps growing, with each variable showing up repeatedly. At last check, it's 109,823 lines long, and, for example, the variable previousKey shows up 8191 times.

It seems obvious that the debugger is spending all its time building this ever-increasing list.

I'm running CW10.6, compiling C code for a MC9S08SH32.  So far, I've checked for updates (there are none reported), I've tried a clean build, and I've tried importing the project's code into a new directory and recompiling it there.  All with no success.

Has anyone else run into this?  Is there a way around it?  I have filed a bug report, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be pleased to have them.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Richard:

Have you not control at all of the debugger? Can you right click on the variables view to open the context menu?

This sounds to me like the known issue mentioned in release notes of CodeWarrior, in the installation path:

C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\Release_Notes.pdf

In the Appendix A you will find ENGR002853543, which suggests to "Remove Global Variables" and add the required ones again.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

Richly
Contributor III

I have control, but the response time is unreasonable (minutes!).  I did wait it out and selected the option to remove all global variables.  That took an incredibly long time, too.  But now the debugger seems to behave reasonably.

How can I view global variables without triggering this behavior?  I have looked at three installations of CW10.6 and one of CW10.5.  None has a copy of Release_Notes.pdf.  What did I miss?

The support engineer dealing with my bug report is clueless.  I'll point him to your answer.

Many many many thanks!

Richard

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Good it worked. I've seen this behavior, but I don't know what triggers it, seems unpredictable. Still amazes me that you got so many instances of a single variable.

As for release notes, just guessing but maybe you unchecked something about documentation when installing? I attached both, CW v10.5 and CW v10.6 release notes.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

jeremiahg
Contributor III

I don't have unresponsive debugging sessions, but I get many instances of the a single variable. It occurs in both 10.5 and 10.6 under Windows 8.1. It is highly annoying.

I have to remove all global variables, then add the ones I want back in. There has to be other people with this issue because it happens on Two of my PC's. It seems to occur if you terminate the debugger, go back into the C/C++ view, then start debugging again. I am going to report a bug soon because I cannot stand it much longer.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately, this is a confirmed bug in Eclipse (that the global variable lists grows), and it not related to Windows 8.1.

The only workaround is to get the variables removed from time to time.

This is fixed in Eclipse Kepler (e.g. used by Kinetis Design Studio), so that might be an alternative for you if you are using Kinetis as target device.

Erich

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Hey Erich,

It's been about 2 1/2 years since the last post in this thread and this particular bug is still a thorn in my side on an almost daily basis.  Even on a fast machine, CW 10.7 eventually bogs down to the point it's almost unusable.  Is CW ever going to move forward from the version of Eclipse it's on now?

For that matter, is there some place I can go for a roadmap of NXP's development tool plans?  I gather MCUXpresso is the convergence of the Kinetis and LPC ARM development tools and will replace KDS (which I suppose makes me glad I haven't already switched to KDS for anything important).  Is Coldfire and HCS08 support at a dead end?

I have an uncanny knack for picking the losing development tool option - almost as bad as my luck at picking stocks.  Since the days of CodeWarrior 5 I've been adopting development tools about a month or two before Motorola/Freescale/NXP announces they're going in another direction.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

CodeWarrior won't moved forward, so there is no expectation that it would adopt a newer Eclipse version. And yes, MCUXpresso is the convergence of LPCXpresso and KDS, so this is what is developed and moved forward as the IDE for NXP ARM Cortex M devices.

I have not seen any new ColdFire devices for a long time, and only minor updates on the S08 line (where there are CW updates for it). So for using ColdFire or S08, CodeWarrior for MCU (Eclipse or classic) are the default choice.

I feel with you, I have going through these transitions myself as well. But still I hope that my reply might help you.

Erich

0 Kudos