When Will CodeWarrior Run On Windows Vista?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Will CodeWarrior Run On Windows Vista?

FC
Contributor III
Hello,

Will there be a patch for CodeWarrior to run on Windows Vista soon?  All new computers come with Vista, I need to upgrade my computer which runs Windows 98SE because CodeWarrior runs very slow on this computer.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
48 Replies

Safari
Contributor I

I have tried, but the solution i found is to use the xp mode in windows 7 64 bits, there are some bugs with the usb comunication, but it works.

best regards

Erik

0 Kudos

davywastaken
Contributor I
The issue is with the installer. I was able to get it to work by running the installer on a 32 bit Windows XP system, copying the Freescale folder in Program Files to a flash drive and then copying it to your destination system's Program Files. Then go into Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for ###\bin and double click the regservers.bat file. Now you should be able to start the program by double clicking the IDE.exe file.
0 Kudos

joefalcon
Contributor I

Our High School uses a program written in Code Warrior 4.2.5.766 for compiling our football statistic and scouting.  It was written a long time ago and works fine under XP.  I am volunteer with our football program and just bought a new 64 bit vista home premium based lap top.  And yes, our Code Warrior C program no longer runs - it gets the following errors when rtrying to run:

Errorstarting external process.  Process Error Code 87 (0x57) THe parameter is incrorrect.

Followed by the error message:

Operating system error - 600 Noo eleigible process with specified process serial number

If anone has a work around or fix we would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks and take care, Joe

0 Kudos

HWMS
Contributor I
It looks as though CW 7.0 should run under Windows Vista, but during installation the following dialog appears, and further installation is prevented:
1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime.

A web-search shows that this message was also common in Windows XP dependent upon access rights/priviledges. The most relevant tip appeared to be to change the permissions of the InstallShield driver files ( Program Files/Common Files/InstallShield/1050/Intel 32/IDriver), but unfortunately this has not helped.

Obviously, this installation is attempted as an 'Administrator', and the program has been "Run as administrator".

I appreciate the tips regarding VMware and the 'get around' installing CW 6.3, and in retrospect I would rather have an XP computer than Vista, but any advice in achieving an install of CW 7.0, seeing as it is meant to be compatible with Vista, would be very welcome.

Ta,

0 Kudos

HWMS
Contributor I
Update:
With thanks to "Sandeep" on the forum at "annoyances.org", the following tip has solved the error:
1607: Unable to install InstallShield...

>I tried about everything I could find about this topic (manual registration of msiexec.exe,
>IDriver, new IsScript.msi etc.) In the end this solved the Problem: Go to the "Intel
>32" Folder and clear all entries (copy to new folder). Then run the Installation
>again. The *.msi file (in my case Siemens Data Suite.msi) creates the its own files
>(for example IDriver.exe etc.) and goes on with the Installation! Seems the Problem
>was that it couldn't replace/modify the file itsself because it was already started....
This tip works, and CW 7.0 is now installed on Windows Vista.

0 Kudos

ElChinoT
Contributor I
 I made it work under Vista!!!  I had win 98 SE and just got a new Laptop  running windows Vista and  I was so fustrated when CW did not install.
So I did a little research and the problem is with a windrvr6.ini file that does not exist on Windows Vista anymore. The change it to windrvr6.PNF with is a precompiled Setup Information File, I think they did it so it runs faster. I found out that the P&E BDM is the one that requires acces to this file to set up communications. 
So I just disabled the P&E option on the CW setup and got it working.  Not the best option if youneed to use this device, but at least it is running.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

trav
Contributor III
I tried installing 4.6 on vista without the P&E, as I'm a student and all I'm doing is wanting to test the code at home instead of having to goto the lab.  I got it to install, but it doesn't seem to want to work.  When I try and open a project file, or open any file codewarrior closes.

I even tried to install the update P&E drivers and still a no go, same crashing.
0 Kudos

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
The "crash while opening anything" description sound like the problem of MS Groove 2007 with Win2000 compatibility more,
here's the workaround:

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CW816COMM&message.id=1143

Note that issue is specific to MS Groove 2007 and does not depend on the OS/Vista.

Daniel
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Reply with new question was moved to a new thread in the appropriate CW for 8- & 16- bit board.
http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CW816COMM&message.id=3279

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

CW 4.6 for S12(X) is not compatible with Vista.

Alban.
0 Kudos

Malt
Contributor I
El Chino

Thanks alot.
I did find another way to use P&E BDM, it involved being alittle sneaky, and copying the entire Freescale directory to another when the fatal error occurs on install. And to copy it back after pressing Ok letting the installer deletes the files. I had to install the P&E drivers independently though off their website

Though now I'm using the Turbo BDM your method to install on vista is alot easier to tell my class to install on vista.

To get Turbo BDM workng running both IDE.exe and hiwave.exe in SP2 compatibility mode seems to work. 

Though when entering True Time, the program won't find the USB straight away automatically.
After doing a few things in the TBDML HCS12 menu in true time
-> Set Target Speed
-> Select Target MCU (Auto Detect seems to Work)
and finally
->Load The Application. TBDML.abs

It should connect now

A bit of a pain though only 10 seconds each time pluging in the USB.

I hope this helps
0 Kudos

tequila
Contributor I
If you absolutely need to upgrade you could run Codewarrior inside a virtual machine like Vmware Server, it won't be as fast as if was a native install, but it shoulld be fast enough, as a matter of fact, I'm running Codewarrior in this very fashion.

Cheers
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi Tequilla,

Nice to see there is an alternative. Thank you for sharing !
Personally, I keep my workstation on XP. I don't really need a shiny desktop, there are always windows opened...

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

neocronos
Contributor III
Just what I need .... Just when I was excited about Vista's upgrade. To be honest, few weeks ago, I started to look for well compatibility between Vista and all my installed programs (XP) and I stopped because I saw that each company made it's homework by making a pach .... wrong idea.      

I hope that freescale guys pay atention on Vista users (not few people) by helping us with an upgrade. I know that freescale has made cool things to make our programmer life better and as I say, I hope that they keep it in that way.      

I'll try with the virtual machine, but we all know what it implies to our PC.   

Thanks.

Message Edited by neocronos on 2007-05-10 12:52 AM
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Neo and welcome to the boards,

As far as I know, there is a team dedicated to Windows Vista.

My hope is that Microsoft team improved the Windows Installer (MSI) so you don't need that much free space  (1GB or so) on the C: drive when you want to install 400MB on the D: drive.
This was quite a problem for a few users.

Keep the faith !
Alban.
0 Kudos

mke_et
Contributor IV
A friend of mine upgraded to Vista at home. While he's not a CodeWarrior user, he has a number of programs that caused him serious issues.

He picked up some kind of virtual manager program that he runs, and he claims he can run all his old stuff under Vista with it. Supposedly even running 'linux' in a box under Vista.

I'll have to see if he can get CodeWarrior running with it...

Anyway, I just called him, and he's willing to try, so I'll cart my setup over to his place and see what happens.

The program is VMWare Player. You need a tool called VMWare Workstation to configure it. He got it for XP, but says it's works fine on his Vista upgrage.

Ok, it's not free, and it's not cheap, but it if works...

Message Edited by mke_et on 2007-05-10 08:51 AM
0 Kudos

tequila
Contributor I
You don't need VMware Workstation, VMware server is available for free, and it pretty much does anything you could need so... I'd recommend you'd give it a try.
0 Kudos

Curt
Contributor IV
Hi FC.

I've been running CW on a Win98 platform with 94MB for a few days now, and don't consider it slow at all.  Could there be another reason for the performance you're seeing?  (Or perhaps I just have a high tolerance for slowness...)

In the name of "security," we will soon have to get written permission from MS to do _anything_ with our PCs.  Vista is a giant step in this direction IMHO.  Avoid it!!! 

"They" will have to pry Win98 from my cold, dead hands!:smileyhappy:
0 Kudos

Voxan
Contributor III
All,

CodeWarrior installers and installed CodeWarrior product will not work with Microsoft’s new Windows VISTA operating system. Many development tools and applications are currently incompatible with VISTA because of significant changes in this major operating system release.
We recommend that our customers do not plan to deploy CodeWarrior tools and technologies on the VISTA operating system this year (2007).
Further, we recommend that our customers continue to monitor our website for announcements about work-arounds or product releases that will support this operating system. We encourage you to speak to a Freescale sales representative.

Regards
0 Kudos

manoel_garbuio
Contributor I
The problem is that some new PC´s come with windows Vista installed and for those new machines there´s no option for Windwos XP, if you need it you have to by in separated.
   It would be great if Freescale updates the CodeWarrior in order to make it supports Windows Vista..
   I´m in exatlly this situation, I´m moving to other micro because of lack of development tool on Windows Vista..But if freescale update it I´ll be have to back.
0 Kudos