Linker assigns IO registers to RAM in mixed Assembly / C project

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linker assigns IO registers to RAM in mixed Assembly / C project

kurt_l
Contributor II

So, we have an older product whose firmware is written entirely in assembly language; it offers a very non-standard serial interface, and we thought it would be wise to broaden its appeal with a standardized communication protocol (Modbus RTU, in this case).  I prototyped the Modbus interface in a C language project that of course had to talk to various timer and serial communication IO registers.  All of this was working fine in the C-only project, and of course the legacy code was working fine with its assembly language references to the same IO resources when the legacy communication protocol was switched on.

The problem came when I added the C language modules to the assembly language project: both the C language and assembly language code compiles fine and links into an executable fine, BUT for some reason all the references to hardware registers like SCI0CR1 (serial communication chan 0 control register 1) and TIE (timer interrupt enable) end up as reads and writes to RAM variables!  I'm using the same C header file "IO_Map.h" as before within the C-only demo project, which has entries like this:

IO_Map TIE entry.png

Yet after linking the merged C/assembly language project, that TIE register ends up in the .bss RAM segment, as shown by the map file output under the C language module:

Map file entry showing TIE in bss RAM.png

I've circled the TIE entry above, but note that all the other hardware registers like _TCNT, _TFLG1, etc are also being linked as RAM variables.

Just for completeness, here is the include file entry for TIE that the assembly language file is using:

mc9s12xd64 include file entry for TIE.png

Both the working C demonstration project and the merged C/assembly project have compiler options defined to specify the CPU variant and the small memory model.  It acts like there is a collision of names in the linking operation, and as a result the linker puts the C "IO variables" in .bss RAM as the default.  I would have thought that the "extern volatile" declaration in the IO_Map.h header file would be enough to cause the compiler/linker to look for an entry like TIE defined somewhere else (in the assembly language code), but apparently I'm missing some declaration or switch.  Any ideas?

PS Another clue: when I right click on one of the IO register names in the C language module within the merged C/assembly project, I get options to "Go to macro declaration of TIE" or "Go to declaration of TIE".  If I choose the second option it opens up the mc9s12xd64.inc file, the one used by the assembly modules; if I choose the macro declaration there is choice of opening either IO_Map.h or another file called mc9s12xd64.h (that second file is not referenced anywhere in my project, so far as I can tell).  Here's the difference, though: if I right click on TIE in the C-only demonstration project there is only the option to "Go macro declaration of TIE".

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

kurt_l
Contributor II

OK, answering my own question.... it turns out that I was missing a companion file in my project, IO_Map.c that apparently is added automatically to C projects, and not added to assembly language projects.  The weird thing is that the linker links the project at all, when it really should fail with some descriptive message that says "these IO register variables aren't declared anywhere."  IO_Map.c simply declares all the I/O registers in one big file, whether you use them all or not.

Apparently the linker looked at the situation, saw that there were a bunch of extern variables not defined anywhere, and decided that the best course of action was auto-declare them as RAM variables.  Does the linker output a log file anywhere that might have had a message that would have alerted me to what it was doing/assuming?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI Kurt,

I am not sure if I understand your situation.

But the all the linking result information is output to map file. Please take a look at it.

If this can't help you out, please send us your demo project, thus I can work on your issue directly. Thanks.

Have a great day,
Jun Zhang

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos