cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What debugger/programmer?

Aleo
Contributor I

Hi,

i'm interested to 8bit freescale microcontrollers and i'm looking for a programmer/debugger. I've found these two models:

• P&E usb bdm multilink
  • Softec inDART-one

What are the real differences between these two?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Aleo
Contributor I

Thanks all for your reply....

i have a question: with P&E BDM MULTILINK a micro flash memory (HCS08 family) can be read?

With previous codewarrior versions, i wasn't unable to read flash memory without micro reprogramming...with new codewarrior version is possible?how? If not, do you know a (possibly open source) program that can be used?

Thanks,

Aleo

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

It really has nothing to do with the BDM.

You can save memory in any version of Codewarrior. I did it in other versions, but I don't remember the steps.

In Eclipse, you create a "Memory Monitor" on the memory tab then use the Export Icon.

As for banked memory, I don't know about that because I avoid banked memory in my projects.

Of course if the FLASH is protected, then you can't.

0 Kudos

Aleo
Contributor I

Hi Jim,

thanks for your reply. I've tried what did you write and it works, but to make "add memory monitor" clickable, i need to program target device: in this way i also delete all data in flash. How can i read flash without target programming?

Aleo

0 Kudos

Aleo
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply (and for the link)...

but i want to understand what are the real differences between inDart and bdm multilink (except mon08 connector and power connector in inDart)...

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Well, you haven't really said much about what you plan to do, which 8 bit Freescale chips you need to use, do you plan use Flexis etc.

I can tell you this about P&E - thier products are current and very well supported. They also offer great value. The USB Multilink Universal at 119.00 USD is a super value - it does HCS08, RS08, HCS12, HC12, ColdFire V1/+V1, ColdFire V2-4, Qorivva MPC55xx/56xx, and Kinetis ARM .

USB ML

You don't hear too much about Softec, and they seem out of date - selling a starter kit for MC68HC908. I can't say one way or the other about suppport. They don't seem to support CFV1, and do not mention current versions of Codewarrior. Not sure why it is 600.00

In Dart

Also, if you do decide to go with the Open Source USBDM, the best value is here:

Wytec USBDM

It does HCS12, HCS08 and CFV1. It will also power the target board, and is only 16.00 right now.

The USBDM has very active, current support.

So really you should check the features and see what will meet your needs....

0 Kudos

TurboBob
Contributor IV

Hi JimD,  long time no talk.

I am thinking of grabbing a Wytek,   because its inexpensive and I'm worried that someday I'll fry my Multilink accidentally.

Is there a flash loader software that works with USBDM/OSBDM,  so I don't need to have Codewarrior running in order to flash stuff?

I see CFFlasher,  but it didn't appear to support the V1.

Regards,

Bob

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Hi Bob,

When you download  USBDM_Win32_4_6a.zip from sourceforge and un zip it, so you can install the drivers, you will find in the Win32\Utilities directory  CFV1_FlashProgrammer.exe and HCS08_FlashProgrammer.exe.

These are fantastic stand alone utilitys that do a great job of flashing, and seem to have not problem with locked devices.

Also while you are at the Wytec site check out the Firebird32 MCU boards. They are fullt shield compatible.

0 Kudos

TurboBob
Contributor IV

I looked and don't see any 32 bit stuff.

Bob

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Not sure what you mean.

You mean flash programmer?

0 Kudos

TurboBob
Contributor IV

"Also while you are at the Wytec site check out the Firebird32 MCU boards. They are fullt shield compatible."

Didn't see anything like that

Bob

(I ordered a USBDM though)

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Ah, yes sorry.

Go to http://www.firebird32.com/

0 Kudos

raining
Contributor I
0 Kudos