Reading / Writing USB Flashdisk with HC08

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading / Writing USB Flashdisk with HC08

farebrog
Contributor I
Hi, this is my first post / question. Can someone recommend an appnote / IC that I can use to read / write a USB memory stick from an HC05 / HCS08 micro? I have an existing datalogger that I download with a radio and I would like to have the user plug in their USB memory stick so I could copy the data to it. I could then plug that into a Windows XP computer and get the data much faster than a 4800 baud radio link.

Thanks for any ideas you have.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

dr_mcu
Contributor II

To be able to have a "Host" transaction with a USB Flash Memory device, the best candidate will be the new ColdFire MCF52221/3. It include USB 2.0 OTG + PHY.

This should be the best device for such a solution I.E. read/write to a remote USB FLASH device.

All this for only $6.99 (52223) and $5.49 (52223)

Soon Freescale is suppose to have a USB Stack software for free...

0 Kudos

rhinoceroshead
Contributor I

I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, bu I don't think this would be very easy.  I haven't seen any microcontrollers that have USB host capabilities.  The USB uCs that I've seen are expected to be peripherals to a PC (which has a USB host in the chipset) or to another device that is a USB host.  It might be easier to try to talk to a SD memory card directly, because then you could avoid having to deal with the USB host overhead.  Then to transfer to a PC you would only need to buy a SD card reader, which is cheap.

0 Kudos

alex_spotw
Contributor III
Hi:

Double checking the UF32, it is a USB device module, not an USB host. It is a Memory stick host, though, so you can store your data in a memory stick card, not in a USB drive, and then let the user retrieve the data from that card, Do not confuse and USB Memory drive with a Memory Stick CARD.

Cypress offers parts that are actually USB Hosts when connected to a peripheral, and a peripheral when connected to a PC

Check link:
http://www.cypress.com/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=209&Pag...

Regards,

ALex

Message Edited by alex_spotw on 04-19-200601:26 PM

0 Kudos

alex_spotw
Contributor III
Hi:

What you need is to use a MC9S12UF32, which is a 16-bit HCS12 processor with a Memory stick host controller via USB. There is no HCS08 that have USB (AFIK).

Check this link

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC9S12UF32&nodeId=0162468636K1007596
Regards,

Alex
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II

Hi all,

The MC68HC908JB series has USB capabilities go HERE.

Cheers,
Alban.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi all,

Not that I am an authority on the subject but I do know this:

USB is great for plugging things into a PC as it is a "host" and all the things you plug into it are "devices"

It takes much more "horsepower" and resources to create a "host" than a "device"

This is a problem for most PDA's which are only devices and not hosts i.e you can plug them into a PC (for syncing etc) but you can't plug devices into them.

Most microcontrollers that have USB are only devices (JB included)

I do not know about the UF32 which alex claims has a special memory stick host.

The OTG spec (On The Go) is supposed to address this issue but it is still new (i.e. not much actual hardware that supports it).

There, thats my 2 bob's worth!

BR Peg

0 Kudos

alex_spotw
Contributor III
HI Peg:

The UF32 datasheet indicates the it has a Memory Stick Host capability: this means that a memory stick card can be connected to it and the UF32 will be a host to it to read/write information.

I think the confusion arises from the liberal use of 'memory stick' term to refer to the USB Flash Drives, when in fact refers to an specific type of Flash memory card.

Regards,

Alex
0 Kudos