Programming HCS08

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming HCS08

TimS
Contributor I
I have a couple of MC9S08QG8CPBE microcontrollers that I got as a free sample for my senior project at the University of Utah.  I've downloaded CodeWarrior 5.1 for HC08 and HCS08 models.  I need to know if there is a free way to upload my c program onto the cip.  I've noticed a program that comes with CodeWarrior called Burner.  Is this program capable of uploading a s19 program file onto the cip so that we can run it on the cip?  Or is there some other program that I need, or is this capability in CodeWarrior already?  I'm hoping there is some kind of serial programmer.

Thanks
Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Tim,

Short answer is No!

To use serial you need firmware in the MCU to handle it. Catch-22.

What you need is some BDM based adapter to programme it through the BDM port. You can buy a demo board that has this built in ($50)or a P&E USB Multilink ($99) or you could make one based on a JB16 but then you need another adapter to programme this.

Regards David

0 Kudos

petr
Contributor I

Hello

I would like to oppose little bit. Check the OSB (Open source BDM in the community files). Yes, it is based on JB16, but the thing is supposed to be programmed through USB without any other hardware.

If you are looking for a simpler solution, I've recently came across this programmer - http://www.ingdubatti.com.ar/index.htm?artpod08s.htm. I know, it is only programmer, not debugger, but quite simple. Although it is based on HC908QT1, the circuit to program a HC08 processor is simple and can be found in the datasheet.

Regards

Petr

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi Petr,

I have built (and got working) a JB8 based BDM a JB16 based USB BDM and the QT1 based serial BDM.

I have been assisting with the development and translation to English of the QT1 type. However while it works good with the GT/GB there is still some unresloved issues we are working on with the QG. That is why I did not mention it here.

Regards David

0 Kudos