cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal or external reference clock

jesortsan
Contributor I
Hi,

my future application (with a MC9S08DZ microcontroller) doesn't require almost any speed restriction.

For that reason, I think it's better to use the internal reference clock and so I can avoid an external circuit for a external oscillator.

What do you think about that? Am I correct or it's better to use always an external oscillator as a reference?

It's my first application and I'm not sure about some issues...

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

stevo10
Contributor I
It really depends on the application, its not always better to use an external as I'm sure you've got other factors out with perfomance to account for. Although you say you have no speed restrictions, how about the accuracy of your clock? External reference are generally more accurate.

With the internal reference you are able to trim the clock with the trim register and the fine trim bit in the MCGSC register - which will improve your accuracy.

I also agree with the comment above, if you are making use of the CAN module then an external would be the best option.
0 Kudos

jesortsan
Contributor I
I have no speed or accuracy restrictions, except the use of the CAN module. I'll choose the external clock option in order to comply with CAN requests.

Thanks for your indications
0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
Since you decided for DZ I have to assume that you plan to use CAN. If any serial bus like CAN or SCI is used, you will need an accurate oscillator to get the correct baudrates. For example, the baudrate for CAN is only allowed to be +- 0.4% faulty. This is impossible to achieve with the internal oscillator, since it isn't stable enough.
0 Kudos